Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Overheating on Idle

My 05 VLX will sometimes heat up past 160 if I have to idle out of a long no wake zone, but only at the start of the day. It seems the boat needs a boost of throttle in order to get the impeller going, or open the thermostat. At home it's no problem because the launch right beside the river, and I can quickly get up to speed and it never seems to be a problem after that. But at certain lakes, there are longer no wake zones before I can open up the throttle. After getting up to speed, it has never been a problem the rest of the day.

Does this sound like a thermostat issue? Or something else.

Edited by kayakwv

I would replace the thermostat and the impeller. We "found" a new mud bar yesterday in a creek off main river and I know we took in some debris thru pump as my 08 VTX always runs at 160 and it slowly got to 180 creeping towards 190 After I got into better water in creek I did a reverse hard and got any debris off intake ect... and our temp cam back down to 160 the rest of the day but seriously thinking I may replace impeller in the pump and our stat cause ya know there is some debris in there. Sounds to me like you might want to think about that as well.

How often do you change yours? How many hours on it since last done? Suspect could be impeller slip also.

Unless there is air being sucked in pre raw water pump from a loose hose clamp or a flush line perko or similar.

If you are drawing air in the pick up, this would not help cooling till the speed increases to draw more water than air in the pick up.

Also, what engine are you running?

There was a cooling system upgrade from Indmar applicable to the Monsoon 350 EXT engine to improve water flow prior to the thermostat opening

^^ I'm running the 340 Monsoon, and would be interested if there was a cooling system upgrade. I did run the boat on a Perko Flush before the lake, and it has no problems. I guessed that the water line pressure would help the impellar along at idle, but did not account for the possibility of air getting in the line. My Perko Flush is not installed, I just hook it up to the water intake when necessary, then remove it, so when it is removed, there is definitely some air in the line, but I would think that would be as normal as the amount that gets in the line after normal trailering of the boat.

Edited by kayakwv

Since you have no problems hooked to a hose, it is your impeller that is the issue. Your hose is supplying pressure to get the water through.

Your impeller may look good but visual inspection can't spot the failure.

A good impeller should pull 5 gallons out of a bucket in about 15 seconds.

Also check the screen at the transmission cooler for debris.

Cleaned my intake side of tranny cooler today, got a lot of small debris out and I just did it 2 months ago. (our river system we ride in has gets a lot of debris and silt issues so always good idea to clean em out and I use shop vac to get all debris I can out of there) Test this evening again as my impeller was perfect.

Hope ya get yours figured out kayakwv.

I had this issue before, it was caused by the impeller being slightly too short. It wouldn't seal to the sides of the pump and was unable to draw the water up during the initial start. After that, when the pump and intake hose were full of water, it would be ok.

I've heard of this occurring with these aftermarket, "you can run dry", impellers also.

• 1 month later...