Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV starting troubles

On water today and my Maliview system would not engage. It seemed to say we were travelling at 2.5 mph even though we were in neutral. Got to dock and couldn't shut off engine with touch screen and to kill by using

main power button. Now cannot get it started again. Checked all the fuses, touch screen will allow me to enter code and do everything else but start engine. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

2 fuse boxes under the dash.... Full of chip fuses

Find the fuse box with the 5amp? Ignition (relay) fuse....

Lay on your back and push up hard on the fuse inside its slot while someone else hits start.

Loose fuse Terminals... Holds the fuse but get wiggly in there and won't make contact.

If that's the problem, light tweek of the terminals with needle nose pliers.

Else... What's your voltage on the dash?

Edited by nyryan2001

Are we talking about the MTC screen?

The one bottom right of the steering wheel or Center top.

Starting to see more posts about bubbles & non responsive MTC screens.

Unfortunately the soloution to a non responsive MTC is remove and replace.

Simple task, not cheap though.

The boat is definitely in neutral and ran absolutely fine until we docked and turned it off. fuses are good. I feel like it has something to due with the fact the maliview wouldn't engage. its the MTC screen but the screen works for everything but when i try to start the engine. I'm not an expert but i think the screen is fine have a feeling the problem is somewhere else. i have checked the fuses located on the motor as well. I'm wondering if I re-flashed the chip for the MTC screen if that would work? Not sure where to find the proper file to load for my system though.

it says its version v01290 24 how can i check if that's latest version for my boat?

Edited by Toddh

2 fuse boxes under the dash.... Full of chip fuses

Find the fuse box with the 5amp? Ignition (relay) fuse....

Lay on your back and push up hard on the fuse inside its slot while someone else hits start.

Loose fuse Terminals... Holds the fuse but get wiggly in there and won't make contact.

If that's the problem, light tweek of the terminals with needle nose pliers.

Else... What's your voltage on the dash?

not getting a reading on voltage. but getting power to everything batteries are new and charged up

You need to follow my advice.... Loose ignition fuse in its socket.

I've wiggled the s*** out of it replaced it.had help trying to start it while wiggling it....pretty sure that's not it.

If when you go to start... You see zero volts on the dash you have no power to your ignition relay

Either your lanyard switch it out somehow

Or your ignition relay isn't being powered

My 2011 stranded me on the water... Charged batteries but 0 volts on the dash.... Or .012volts...mine was a bad ignition fuse relay fuse under the dash.

You gotta trace upstream from the ignition relay at the engine fuse box to determine where the current is not being fed

Ill take this into consideration. I will start with the fuse box again then will start tracing everything back. Any goods tricks when tracing back from engine. Electrical stuff isn't my thing but the other option of finding someone to tow me half way across the lake to take it out of water at the boat launch then find my way a few hours to the nearest Malibu deal isn't very appealing either.

Your symptoms are eerily similar to mine...

Do this, grab a multimeter... Find a good ground under the dash.. The metal of the steering mechanism and stick that black probe on it.... Remove that 5amp? Ignition relay fuse under the dash from its slot for a minute and 100% verify you are getting 12v through that fuse terminal. Ensure you check both sides of those fuse terminals. One of them should be hot 12v.

Need to verify you are getting 12v through that ignition fuse terminal.

Was it 5amp or 2.5 amp? I remember it was a very lightly amp'd fuse.

So step 1:

Remover the ignition fuse and verify the ignition fuse terminal is hot 12v on one of the sides.

Step 2: remove the lanyard kill switch mechanism... and verify you have 12v both entering the switch and headed out after the switch with the circuit closed and lanyard in place.

Find the ignition relay back by the engine.... You may need help here. Verify the small 12v relay wire is getting its 12v to activate the relay.

The fuse box on the engine.... Check the ignition relay in there.... Is it getting 12v? I do remember someone on here having to replace one of the ignition relay plugs? That go in the engine mounted fuse box.

Pull and tug on all the heavy big wire cabling connections around the starter and to the engine's ground

So step 1:

Remover the ignition fuse and verify the ignition fuse terminal is hot 12v on one of the sides.

Step 2: remove the lanyard kill switch mechanism... and verify you have 12v both entering the switch and headed out after the switch with the circuit closed and lanyard in place.

Find the ignition relay back by the engine.... You may need help here. Verify the small 12v relay wire is getting its 12v to activate the relay.

The fuse box on the engine.... Check the ignition relay in there.... Is it getting 12v? I do remember someone on here having to replace one of the ignition relay plugs? That go in the engine mounted fuse box.

Pull and tug on all the heavy big wire cabling connections around the starter and to the engine's ground

I will definitely try this out. I know where and what your talking about in regards to the fuse panel/ignition relay on engine...

Thanks again Ill let you know how it goes.

Going to the shop tomorrow. Tried everything only one thing left...the transmission neutral safety switch. just need to locate it and figure out how to test it....

So apparently the files on the touch pad were out of date and the computer freezes every time they try to load the new files. Now they are telling me 1900 for a new computer touch pad. Ouch! anyone know where or possibly a way to load the new files on the old computer? it doesn't want to load them. Or even a cheaper place to buy a computer touch pad?

A couple years ago I argued to the death about these touch screens (maliview) being a problem in the future.....

Where's 85 you reading this? ;)

So what happens when Malibu quits supporting these old 2011s like mine? :)

Edited by Lance B. Johnson