Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Troubles

waterskier23

Went to get the boat from storage on Friday evening and discovered an issue with one of the wheels. A failure of the drum brake / hub assembly. So disappointed with the impact to using the boat on a beautiful weekend, so thankful to have the failure occur in the storage yard and not on the road with my kids in the car!

Working on the drums/hub is a little out of my familiarity, so here are some pics of the boat and trailer being loaded. Thankfully the trip from storage to the garage for repairs was only a few miles. Fingers crossed for a straightforward repair and available parts!

IMG_1593_zpsclp6ukqx.jpg

IMG_1630_zpscmznzspx.jpg

IMG_1631_zpshkcris5c.jpg

IMG_1635_zpsqj3vpbgr.jpg

So what, you just got tnere and it was like that? no impact, nothin? That is kind of amazing. Glad you wern't on the raod, that would have made a bit of a mess.

Basically. The spot it sits in at the storage yard, I am basically parallel parking it into. So on Friday night I swung the trailer tongue out by hand and hooked up and that's when I noticed it. Crazy, right? Only my 2nd year of ownership, but boat and trailer are both 95 vintage, so they have some years on them. I had the trailer and brake system run through just over a year ago when I bought the boat. A mystery!

I'm hoping my spindle is still solid... my hypothesis with the hub is based on it looking like this. Admittedly I am not experienced w/ this setup. Last boat & trailer was even older school and did not have brakes so the hub was simpler and I never had an issue.

IMG_1591_zpsjzi3k4ol.jpg

IMG_1633_zpsmtnbimea.jpg

There isn't any funky tire wear. Something must have broken and not worked it's way loose. Do you think there is a chance anyone may have tampered with it or maybe backed into your wheel at the storage yard?

Agree, the tires look good and were replaced last season. Re: tampering... good question. That side of the trailer is up against a a fence, so I don't think it was hit, unless moved. Trailer tongue is locked, and boat and trailer showed no signs of tampering. Storage yard is gated & fenced w/ surveillance.

One more reason why I'd like to add a pad for the boat on our driveway!

Almost looks like the nut snapped on the spindle and the wheel fell off (insert Ron White here). That last photo looks like the spindle is just sitting in the brake drum.

Update - Talked with the shop and their verdict... spindle busted, axle bent. I'm floored.

I take them at their word, but I can't wrap my head around the axle being bent... All I can come up with is that (a) it was that way since i purchased, and shop I had give the trailer a once when I purchased last year missed it. (b) It had a failure (obviously) but the axle bent during the flatbed trip, © Ferris Bueller scenario? The trailer did have some fender damage to the side of the failure when i bought it.... so who knows?

Worst part? shop has to order the axle so I am 1-2 weeks out.

Best part? Nobody was hurt, things can be fixed

Still... a mystery to me...

• 1 month later...

So, just to close the loop on this "adventure"... 3 axles, an unsuccessful stop at a local mechanic, and final mile at a marine, and the boat and trailer are finally home! I've been out of commission since Aug 2nd with a comedy of errors to get this sorted (thank goodness for my ski buddies)

Here's what happened:

• Busted spindle. Marina speculates that it was a flawed weld and that the spindle was never fully seated in the axle.

• 3 axles - Had the trailer and boat towed to a reputable mechanic that does work on trailers.

• Mechanic ordered 2 different axles, neither were right... to their credit, they admitted defeat and towed the boat to a marina whose trucks they service... this killed nearly 3 weeks of August.

• Marina properly lifted boat from trailer and got to work. The axle for the Elete trailer is NLA, and they ordered a custom drop axle, new Titan brakes, bearings etc...

This is my 2nd summer with the boat, my further speculation is that the trailer spent the majority of every summer exposed to the elements with very little use while the boat lived a sheltered life on canopied lifts. So the investment into the trailer has been more than I wanted, but I now have a heavier rated axle, a slightly taller trailer, with new hardware and piece of mind.

On the good side:

• Trailer failed in storage yard, not while on the road with my young kids in the SUV.

• Hopefully have a reliable trailer now!

• I got the wiring harness for my heater put together to add in a circ. pump to keep the heat rolling for the fall skiing

• Picked up a few items to add to the boat

Time to get back on the water and enjoy some beautiful fall skiing!

IMG_1695_zpshhcco3ic.jpg

IMG_1694_zps4zvhcgiv.jpg