Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Troubleshooting help please, '01 Sunsetter LXI

Well after 14 years of flawless running my boat has come upon it's first issue. So here is the situation, we were out all day yesterday and no issues at all. Go to start it up this morning and the first thing I notice is that suddenly the ignition turns too far to the right. It would engage the starter and then go past engagement and do nothing. No big deal, once I figured that out it started easy. Then when on the lake it wouldn't start at all, just kept turning over and over. While it was doing this I noticed a not normal smell coming from the exhaust. It sounded like a lanyard issue, but when I checked that it was fine. I also noticed at this time the depth finder and water temp gauges no longer worked. Then once it finally started it made a horrible screeching noise in neutral, but ran fine in gear. So we drove straight home and I have not tried to run it yet (it ran fine on the way home). No temperature issues, engine has plenty of oil and no leaks. Very confused as to where to even start troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance to your help!

Man, thanks crew! I wouldn't have linked the bad ignition switch with the bendix staying engaged but that was exact sound I was hearing.

It does sound related to the switch. Before you replace - Take a look and make sure the switch didn't just come loose & rotate in the dash. There is a nut under the rubber cover & one behind the dash to adjust depth. I had that happen to mine a few years ago.

I did check to make sure the ignition switch had not come loose or have a wire disconnect.

This seems like an easy fix but I don't want to assume anything. Are these ignitions switches pretty run of the mill and I can pick one up anywhere or do I need to order directly from Malibu?

• 4 weeks later...

This worked, thanks everyone for the help! My baby is back to new.

FYI I decided to spend the $20 extra dollars to get a Malibu specific ignition vs. generic. It's totally worth the extra money. For starters you get another nice Malibu key, but most importantly it's plug and play with your current switch, no splicing of wires. I bought mine from the local Malibu dealer but they are also available from Bakes.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=752