Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much weight is to much?

yotaisgame

sack it out until 1: it does not plane 2: the wake becomes too big and scary to ride 3: your boat sinks

The OP is trying to avoid 3. 1 will probably happen first, If you are surfing can 2 happen at all?

Seriously there are some on here that are running close to 5000# wet ballast. I think no matter how much ballast you are running a good driver is going to be the key to avoid the third option. Taking a roller over the bow can swamp a boat, even if it is not heavily loaded.

• Like 2

Agree. We have around 3500# extra ballast over the 1250# in mls. With a 1000# bag in the nose, driving becomes the biggest factor as to whether you stay afloat or not! As you know the 2013 has a lower nose than the newer ones. Having said that we've only rarely taken water over the nose and thats when it gets busier and you don't notice someone else's wave. When we did, very little came over and we did not sink ?

does anyone have a canvas type bow cover installed to help the water roll of over the top of it when taking water over the bow? I read somewhere of someone doing that as they put tons of weight in their boat, especially the front area. But yes, driver skill and experience is key to not having #3 happen!

We added 750+750+500+400+150 of mostly plug and play to all the hardtanks and the boat has to get to surf speed quick to lock. With 10 people in the boat, it can be a challenge beyond 4000 feet elevation, even with a 1235.

That being said, we should probably do oil changes more frequently.

lol... yeah I highly doubt that anyone would say "that wave is too big"... I have heard people say "that wake is too big", but never a wave. I know I used to see a lot of the last gen stars with that bow cover on them, probably for that very reason to prevent most of the water from entering the boat, those stars would ride crazy low in the bow sometimes. I have not seen it on any axis, and very few bu's.

I have taken some water over the bow (mostly when others drive her) but my best guess was less than 10 gallons... auto bilge would not even go on until we started moving forward again. It happens, boats sink from that very issue.

I've taken water over the front but never enough to even get the bilge to kick on. With everything full and two passengers the bow is very close to the water. My old 05 moomba mobius was never this low.

I think common sense would probably get you further in answering this question than anyone on this forum, just because every situation is different.

I would think that you would be able to tell how much weight is too much weight, when water starts to go over the sides! As others have said though, the driver is very important. I've definitely taken a nose dive under a roller and got an inch or two of water in the walkway. No big deal, turn on the bilge and the rest evaporates. However, the driver shoud know how to power through any unexpected rollers... Even if you were hypothetically sinking from a little too much water weight, you should be able to give gas to stop from sinking and then drain as much as you can!

Took a huge couple rollers a couple years ago, when my surfer fell about 30ft off of a moored barge. I turned toward the barge to go back and pick him up. The wave hit the barge, and doubled back. When it hit my existing wave again, it was the biggest "Double Up" I'd ever seen. I tried to gas the nose up, but still when straight through it. The wave filled the bow, hit off the windshield and some actually splashed me in the face. The whole boat had over ankle deep water in it for about 20min, until the bilge finally caught up. That was a close one... Learned a valuable lesson.

Edited by kayakwv

Best thing to do if it's too late to raise the bow is to just sit still or even back away from it. If you gas it into the waves you will just increase the amount of water that comes over the bow.

I had a tuber do a full circle around my boat going somewhere between 10 and 15 mph. I had rollers coming over both sides and the front of the bow and ended up with water up to the seat cushions. Luckily I was able to pump it all out fairly quick but I still flagged down the boater and made sure they realized what they did. I really had to bite my tongue on it because I think that is the maddest I have ever been on the water.

• Like 2

Best thing to do if it's too late to raise the bow is to just sit still or even back away from it. If you gas it into the waves you will just increase the amount of water that comes over the bow.

I had a tuber do a full circle around my boat going somewhere between 10 and 15 mph. I had rollers coming over both sides and the front of the bow and ended up with water up to the seat cushions. Luckily I was able to pump it all out fairly quick but I still flagged down the boater and made sure they realized what they did. I really had to bite my tongue on it because I think that is the maddest I have ever been on the water.

Biggest misconception on the planet is that speeding into a wake is the best thing to do. With passengers and bow weight, you end up with not-much bow rise. And if the pitch of the bow is pointing downward, you will end up pushing the bow down into the roller. A bump in reverse will soften the blow of roller plenty. I learned this move from a pro wakeboarder and I can tell you I've never taken on water using the reverse trick. Only time I take on water is when I'm still moving forward. It happens from time to time (darn wakesurfing G23s).

BTW, I believe the photo above is potatoshack's boat. His boat sunk because they rode into a roller and a passenger (not the driver) decided to intervene and goose the boat forward into a roller. Water flooded the bow and it never recovered.

The reverse trick works so well that even this guy saved the boat:

Edited by boardjnky4

Biggest misconception on the planet is that speeding into a wake is the best thing to do. With passengers and bow weight, you end up with not-much bow rise. And if the pitch of the bow is pointing downward, you will end up pushing the bow down into the roller. A bump in reverse will soften the blow of roller plenty. I learned this move from a pro wakeboarder and I can tell you I've never taken on water using the reverse trick. Only time I take on water is when I'm still moving forward. It happens from time to time (darn wakesurfing G23s).

BTW, I believe the photo above is potatoshack's boat. His boat sunk because they rode into a roller and a passenger (not the driver) decided to intervene and goose the boat forward into a roller. Water flooded the bow and it never recovered.

The reverse trick works so well that even this guy saved the boat:

Hmmmm, I guess my front is never super weighted, so powering through has always helped. The only times I have taken water in the bow is when I wasn't 100% paying attention and didn't power through a roller in time.

So does reversing help you avoid getting water into the bow, or does it just minimize the amount of water that will go in? Can you describe what you do... So for example, your surfing and your surgfer goes down. You stop the boat, turn 180+ to do a figure eight but after you turn theres a giant roller right in front of you. What do you do? Tapping reverse just sounds like it will make the roller hit 1 second later and thats it?

Hmmmm, I guess my front is never super weighted, so powering through has always helped. The only times I have taken water in the bow is when I wasn't 100% paying attention and didn't power through a roller in time.

So does reversing help you avoid getting water into the bow, or does it just minimize the amount of water that will go in? Can you describe what you do... So for example, your surfing and your surgfer goes down. You stop the boat, turn 180+ to do a figure eight but after you turn theres a giant roller right in front of you. What do you do? Tapping reverse just sounds like it will make the roller hit 1 second later and thats it?

It's hard to explain, but I just put the boat in reverse and back the boat up at a rate that is slightly slower than the roller is travelling. It causes the roller to come up under the boat at a slower speed and gives the boat more time to adjust and float over it. Using the reverse trick, I've never taken water over the bow.

Ramming the boat forward is only going throw people around the boat, cause splashing, more rollers, etc...

Put the boat in reverse, a little faster than idle, about 3-5 seconds before the roller hits your bow.

"UP TO THE SEAT CUSHIONS"!!!!????? Wow, that was really a close one.

I didn't open the hatch to let it all into the bilge at one time because I didn't want it to submerge my starter or anything else down there. Luckily I only had factory hard tanks full and I hit the drain on them too.

A triangle sac can be similar as a canvas cover. You don't have to fill them all the way with water. Just fill till you get the right weight then use an air pump to fill till tight. This can keep the bow from "scooping" water if submerged. A lot will roll off to the sides with this setup.

It's hard to explain, but I just put the boat in reverse and back the boat up at a rate that is slightly slower than the roller is travelling. It causes the roller to come up under the boat at a slower speed and gives the boat more time to adjust and float over it. Using the reverse trick, I've never taken water over the bow.

Ramming the boat forward is only going throw people around the boat, cause splashing, more rollers, etc...

Put the boat in reverse, a little faster than idle, about 3-5 seconds before the roller hits your bow.

Yes, I do this too. My bow sits low when I am weighted for wakeboarding. If i see a roller coming, I will just put it in reverse at idle speed and keep it there until the number 3 or 4 roller passes my bow, then I bump it into neutral, even if I have enough time to throttle up and over it... it is so much nicer for everyone involved because:

1. I do not have to warn anyone, or tell anyone to hold on as I throttle up

2. I do not send more rollers down our line, or into other boats

3. it works every time

4. It does not freak anyone out, nobody in the boat has no idea what I am doing because it is so stealth, so they are calm, if I have a rider in the water I do not have to worry about freaking them out or worry if the rope is in their hand, or wrapping them up (just have to know where the rope is in relation to my prop so I don't wrap my prop). And if I have a rider on the swim step getting in or out, they do not have to get thrown around, bumping into reverse for a few seconds will not throw them into the water or mess them up.