Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

removing back seat back - vtx

Anyone know how many/ where the screws are going to be to remove the backseat seatback? When I bought my boat it had an issue with the left hatch rubbing on the seatback where you can only see it with hatch open. The hatch skin edge is pretty well trashed and the seatback has a quarter sized hole.

Just ordered a new hatch skin, and I plan to have the seatback fixed if possible using material from the old hatch cover.

This is really a winter project, but I want to pull the seatback and shim it a little to stop the rubbing. Hatch seems aligned and moving that would be tough.

post-22501-0-59018900-1438434573_thumb.j

post-22501-0-02169400-1438434581_thumb.j

Edited by oldjeep

I just removed and re-installed the back seat in my VLX. There are 3 lag screws way up high going through the fibreglass into the upper side of the seat. . They are a true PITA to remove and even more so to re-install. Found the best way was to us a ratcheting wrench as there is no clearance to get a socket in there. 12 screws at the back of the seat through the cross member and 8 screws across the bottom aluminum piece holding the seat base.

All in all, not a job that I want to do again anytime soon!

Good luck and watch you knuckles!

Moving the hinge on the engine cover is a better choice. Trying to move/adjust the position of the seat leanback will probably not work. It is designed to fit in one position, and then let the engine hatches match up to it.

Peter

Moving the hinge on the engine cover is a better choice. Trying to move/adjust the position of the seat leanback will probably not work. It is designed to fit in one position, and then let the engine hatches match up to it.

Peter

Suppose I could drill the hinge holes out a size or 2 so that I could slide it back a little. Moving the screw locations a sort distance just seems like recipe for blown out double holes.

Thanks.

Chuck,

If need be, turn the hinge around and drill new holes in both sides. The hinge holes are offset so your spacing will be plenty if you flip the hinge completely.

Peter