Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

03 Response LXI Surfs great.

malibu03lxi

450lbs in back ski locker, 400lbs behind the engine on floor, and 3 people in boat about 145lbs each. pretty happy and even more happy last sunday when we had 9 people in boat. lots of push then. running at 10mph.

The RLXi from that vintage is the ultimate wannabe U-boat even turning into its own slalom wake. Imagine your driver is on pins and needles turning back for a downed surfer in that rig. :)

it was a lot worse when we listed the boat. Normally we worry about water in the front of the boat coming over the bow....now we worry about it coming in the back. hahah When its busy out on the lake yes a little stressful. but its part of the sport for us on small lakes with length restrictions and newer boats going up in price....we have 1250 hours on the boat and every hour has been awesome. when there is no one out on lake its fine with no other boat waves on the lake

Yes I built my own. pretty simple with a few pieces of wood. and yes I have a goofy side too. we surfed that last night as well. super clean and the steeper but didn't seem to have the push and im not that good on the goofy side.

That's pretty impressive for a RLXi actually. Surprised how far back you could get and pump forward. What board is that?

If I had that vintage RLXi, it would get a snap on bow tonneau cover pretty much permanently. You might consider one of those for surfing. Seems you don't need any bow weight.

That's pretty impressive for a RLXi actually. Surprised how far back you could get and pump forward. What board is that?

If I had that vintage RLXi, it would get a snap on bow tonneau cover pretty much permanently. You might consider one of those for surfing. Seems you don't need any bow weight.

I think the board is an older version of this inland surfer that i have linked. Had a buddy on the lake order one, and it came damaged really bad. like a 3 inch chunk taken out of the edge. He fixed it up perfect besides a little color difference. He got another sent to him for free so we split the cost. at the time was 550$ new. looking to get a skimmer soon that I rode behind a supra sg400 at lake norman which was awesome. but yea we dont put much weight in the front. mostly behind the windshield. The engine becomes the sunday dinner table pretty much, gather around it. hahaha

http://www.inlandsurfer.com/board-shop/hi6h4b3waloyj0hucdzfzpqz275lqc

Edited by malibu03lxi

Thanks for posting the pictures and video. It encourages me to go after building gates this winter for my 2009 RLXI. I'm not worried about taking water over the bow as the driver can usually control that (for the most part). Also with all the weight in the back it makes the bow come up anyway. I had two 500 pound sacks down one side of our boat and having only a few inches of freeboard with a listed response is scary. It made me give up on wake surfing (especially with kids on board). I've run one on each side for a friend who wakeboards and its not as nerve racking.

Thanks for posting the pictures and video. It encourages me to go after building gates this winter for my 2009 RLXI. I'm not worried about taking water over the bow as the driver can usually control that (for the most part). Also with all the weight in the back it makes the bow come up anyway. I had two 500 pound sacks down one side of our boat and having only a few inches of freeboard with a listed response is scary. It made me give up on wake surfing (especially with kids on board). I've run one on each side for a friend who wakeboards and its not as nerve racking.

no its not as nerve racking until someone else is surfing or plowing by watching and no matter what direction the boat is facing, into wave the wave or the stern facing into the wave, the water will go into the back vents or even in the back ski locker. when weighted and someone is standing on platform, the rubrail along the platform is at the water level. just gotta keep aware of the surroundings

• 7 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2015 at 9:08 PM, malibu03lxi said:

450lbs in back ski locker, 400lbs behind the engine on floor, and 3 people in boat about 145lbs each. pretty happy and even more happy last sunday when we had 9 people in boat. lots of push then. running at 10mph.

Did you reinforce your rear ski locker?  If not, are you worried about putting 450 lbs on top of the gas tank?  Out of curiosity, did you have to have the three people in specific spots or does your setup allow pretty much free movement of the passengers?  Thanks.  -Marc

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2016 at 10:28 AM, High Altitude said:

Did you reinforce your rear ski locker?  If not, are you worried about putting 450 lbs on top of the gas tank?  Out of curiosity, did you have to have the three people in specific spots or does your setup allow pretty much free movement of the passengers?  Thanks.  -Marc

I have had the sack in the back for 5 years and have not had a problem yet.  I had one person in the back, one next to the driver and then the driver.    When we have more people we put the second sack in the ski locker by the driver and have the boat almost evenly weighted with all the people behind the windshield heaviest in the back.