Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

acl tears

duckhunter1

Not related to my Malibu but wakeboarding in general. My son got one this week (19 years old , second summer of wakeboarding) when landing off a high jump that cleared the wake. Said it popped when he landed before he fell. I didn't see it so don't know for sure but I don't wakeboard, just surf and barefoot. This seems to be a common injury with wake and snow boarders alike. I wonder why they don't make them with a release like ski-boots?

Two here. Both from wakeboarding. I honestly don't believe breakaway boots would help. The inward twist of the knee that causes the injury happens too high up the leg and too fast before the boot would release from landing aerials. Both mine were from landing Raileys. I landed perfectly (not a wipe-out at all), but my knee tweaked in...and POP!

But I'm no expert...

Edited by DIE2SURF

I would look into the Ossur CTi Vapor knee brace.

I never got my ACLs repaired (15 and 12 years now), and only wear my braces when wakeboarding and skiing. No problems at all since then (though I stopped doing aerials about 7 years ago).

Hope your son heals up well. If he gets it repaired, do everything the doc and therapist says. Don't rush it, or a re-tear can happen.

pics or you tore jack squat

MRI PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN ,

X-RAY FOR BROKEN BONES

I Have an x-ray of my total Knee surg, but cant post the pic per the TOU

Edited by Stevo

No kidding. That's why I've pretty much quit wakeboarding now. Really only slalom and surf (ocean). I'm too damn old to be taking those hard landings.

Cipro did you have bilateral total knee replacements?

Doc, good news just patella femoral replacements...im already driving and walking with cane...

take care of the knees...this crap sucks...

I was 13, playing football. Guy tackled me from behind and drove his knee right into my femur as we both fell forward. Snapped it in half and it slipped over top of itself. It was horrible. They had to pull it back to set it in place. They had to make sure my femoral artery was not severed. I was in traction for 10 days, then a lower body cast for a month. Ended up with three rods through my knee down my femur to hold it in place for a year. The another surgery to have them removed. My knee has never been the same. Getting worse actually.

Edited by saxton15

Cipro, You are a brave man to do Bilateral! You make me feel better that I only need my right one replaced. A weekend of Surfing makes it pretty difficult to get up stairs!

Are your surgeons telling you no more water sports?

^^^I would like to see that. The amount of force required to fracture an adult male femur is remarkable. How did that happen Sax?

I had bilateral femur fractures. I would post the xrays but an outline of my ding dong is in the pic and the admins wouldnt appreciate it.....

Edited by saidainc

I am amazed at recovery times now. I tore my acl and was about six months before they would let me jog in a straight line. 2 years ago Clemson had a quarterback tear his acl in the April spring game and had made a full recovery by August camp. (He is now at ole miss-chad Kelly ) 4 month full recovery!!

Cipro, You are a brave man to do Bilateral! You make me feel better that I only need my right one replaced. A weekend of Surfing makes it pretty difficult to get up stairs!

Are your surgeons telling you no more water sports?

No restrictions ......but ill be smart...surfing ...occasional WB set when the water is butter..