Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat value?

Strokeoluck

We're looking at a slightly used Malibu boat in Excelsior, MN. I can't seem to link to the page but if you're willing to search for it you can visit www.mninboard.com and go to their used boat section. We're currently looking at the 2014 Wakesetter 21 VLX with 100 hours.

My son is 15 years old and really enjoys wake surfing and wake boarding - though after a nasty wake board fall recently (and concussion) he's a little more fond of wake surfing at the moment. It seems as though there is some debate as to VTX and VLX producing larger/better wakes, but it seems the majority feel the VLX is the way to go. My son believes the 2014's are the first year of the higher quality "wake gate" feature, so he wants us to look at 2014's or newer.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Surf Gate came out in 2013. In 2014, they offered it with faster wave-to-wave transfers (regular to goofy, or vice versa) but I'm not sure that that is really all that important for most people who participate in the sport.

Thanks. Would love to hear what folks think about the value of this boat. I realize NADA can spit out theoretical values, but I'm wondering if anyone can help me calibrate real world values for this boat, or something close to it.

I would do a search on www.onlyinboards.com and look for comparable boats and what else is in the price range. Start nation wide and then narrow it down.

Thanks. Maybe I'm doing something wrong - I entered the ranges I'm looking for and it came up empty. I did some more research on NADA values for the boat. It shows dealer's "Suggested List Price" of $80k; "Average" list price of $67k and "Low" list price of something like $57k. Looks like average list price is for boats that are in good condition with some wear and tear and that might need some cosmetic or mechanical attention. My son has seen the boat and tells me it's in stellar condition, so maybe somewhere around that $70k mark or low $70's is a fair price. They're going to bring it to our dock Monday night so we can take it out for a test drive.

Nada is pretty useless on low volume boats. Just doing a quick search on searchcraigslist.org , it appears that most are mid 70's.

On onlyonboards there are 9, most in the low 70's, however some do not include a trailer.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/used-ski-boats/?MakerName=3&YearFrom=2014&YearTo=2014&PriceFrom=&PriceTo=&Model=65&ZIP=&Distance=

Also realize that the price of a boat halfway across the country is only relevant if you are willing to go get it.

Edited by oldjeep

Look at buc values as well. You can get 3 free checks on the value of a boat when you sign up for a Freebe using your emal. You will still need to adjust for extras though like trailer, tower, stereo and such. Buc is more of a pro type boat valuation but you still need to consider the market in your area and nada prices as well since others may only focus on that to price with.

Not sure right now... this is a tough time to gauge value... smart dealers are dumping inventory because 8 weeks from now that boat is just a flooring charge on the lot until spring. In October I'd wager that boat is worth high 60s.

The only thing I can't really put my finger on is the resale value of metal flake. That boat looks to have a lot of flake and that was an expensive upcharge. Personally I don't put much value on that (would much rather have a motor upgrade than flake, though a vlx will do great on the 350 at your altitude), but I don't know whether the resale market might. Those tower speakers are also in the "worst of all worlds category" being a bit harsh, low with the second pair (good place to bang your head), and likely underpowered in the factory configuration. I'm absolutely certain those speakers DO add value in the market, but they wouldn't for me.

without the tower speakers or metal flake, I'd think that's a $65k boat (at least it is 6-8 weeks from now).

The 2015 surf wake is significantly better than the 2014 on the VLX. After my last Havasu trip my buddy was looking at trading in his 14 that he bought less than a year ago. My other friend sold his A20 and bought a new T23.

Like Shawndoggy says, metalflake and stereo upgrades can add 10k to the price of the boat new, and those are personal preference type of things. Mine is for sale, loaded with sparkles and stereo, with prob 120hrs by Labor Day for 85k. Here in socal our season runs March - Thanksgiving so we don't have as much of the end of season rush.

I'll mow the lawn and take out the trash at your house and i'd be content with a 2010-2012 VLX for 15-20k less if I was your son, ha ha.

Remember, tax is a killer on dealer sales here in MN. No tax on private party sales. That boat is really more like $81k after tax.

I'll mow the lawn and take out the trash at your house and i'd be content with a 2010-2012 VLX for 15-20k less if I was your son, ha ha.

Remember, tax is a killer on dealer sales here in MN. No tax on private party sales. That boat is really more like $81k after tax.

Depends. Some of the boats there are consignment boats, definitely worth asking if mninboard owns it or if they are listing for a customer ordering a new boat.

Although it may have saltwater use. Lake Washington connects to Puget Sound.

It's a club boat owned by seattle boat co, the malibu dealer here. I don't think they let you go through the locks. I couldn't imagine someone out in puget sound with a wakeboard boat. If you have never seen puget sound, it's disgusting, about 38 degrees, and the water is usually pretty rough. Great crabbing though

Although it may have saltwater use. Lake Washington connects to Puget Sound.

through downstream locks tho? Everything I read about lake washington is that it's rough enough with cruisers and stuff... not sure why you'd go out on the sound?

through downstream locks tho? Everything I read about lake washington is that it's rough enough with cruisers and stuff... not sure why you'd go out on the sound?

yeah dude Lake Washington is so choppy it's not even funny... I hate going out there... If you think a surf boat wave is bad, try a cruise or container ship. I surf the cruise ship waves at our beach house all the time on Puget Sound. Watch them go past, wait about 15 minutes and the waves show up. They are massive.