Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mold/Mildew Prevention?

Pulled by 1990 Sunsetter out of the barn and found all kinds of mold or mildew on the upholstery. Came off pretty good with the Starbrite remover (seemed bleach based), but I don't want to have to do that all the time. Is there anything you can put in your boat to prevent it?

There was a thread on this on the old MBO site. I can't remember the name brand, but I use those small plastic buckets with the white pellets inside that absorb moisture. You can buy them at hardware stores for a few bucks. Damp-Rid or something like that. They pull the moisture out of the air and it collects in the bucket. Replace every couple of months.

Dri-Z-air.

I've been looking for them too, and have been unsucsessful. Seems it depends on your Home Depot / Osh / etc. Even heard Albertson's has them. I haven't been able to find them in any of these stores. Still looking...

I bought a Drywave for this last winter and it worked great here in the wet NW. I've had problems in the past with mildew on the vinyl, but I had none this year.

Driz the air works great. I keep four of them in my boat. One thing about them is that you have to re-fill them with the dessicant approx. every month. So, if your boat is stored in a place where you can't get to it once a month, you'll want to buy an electric dehumidifier.

For what it is worth. People storing their trailer in the NW use rock salt. They put a couple of large 5 gallon buckets in their trailers. When the salt absorbs the moisture they change the buckets and let the salt dry in the sun. Apparently this works as good as Dri ease. Also if you don't like change your Dri ease as often, use a large plastic strainer over a pail. As it dissipates the water will collect in the pail and not over flow. We use Dri ease in the vehicles that we store in the yard.

Pulled by 1990 Sunsetter out of the barn and found all kinds of mold or mildew on the upholstery.  Came off pretty good with the Starbrite remover (seemed bleach based), but I don't want to have to do that all the time.  Is there anything you can put in your boat to prevent it?

Do you store your boat covered?

We used to store ours covered, if we didn't, mice and squirrels

would have a fun time making a home in it.

With the boat covered, mold would form everywhere,

upholstery, dash, steering wheel.

But we were able to get a new garage to store it

last year and left the cover off. No mold at all this year.

Fingerwag.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Try 3M Scotch Guard for mildew. I've used it for a couple of years with good results. Just be sure to wipe overspray off of glass or gel coat, as it will form spots that are difficult to remove.

My practice has been to leave it in the driveway for a couple of hours when returning home to let the sun dry the carpet a bit. Then I put it in the garage and set a box fan in the boat.

I would like to install a ceiling fan right over the boat and just keep it running on low during ski season.

Moisture in the boat when you get home...Hmmmm....never seen it before. Tongue.gif We worry about things drying out to much.