Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BI boom on 2013 VTX, with removable Pylon. Yes or No?

tcgmlg

The key question is your removable pylon, when it's locked into place is it

so secure it has no way of coming out. Thats pretty much the bottom line!

I would call BI and Malibu to get there opinions.

Maybe JB will chime in here too! He's really knowledgeable on the BI's.

Edited by Dare2goBare

You mean the retractable pylon, right? Can't see why it'd be a problem. There should be plenty of pylon exposed to clamp to in the up position. Only thing you might want to do (good idea with the v-drive quad contour boom anyways) is tie a rope to the rear cleat to keep the boom from spring forward too much when unloaded in rapid fashion (read: faceplant).

One other recommendation, if you go with a BI boom, get an 18 inch extension. Might even need two to get free of the spray. At least on our VLX, the spray can be bad under 35 MPH or so. VTX is slightly shorter, but also slightly wider so spray might be as bad or worse.

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 1

You mean the retractable pylon, right? Can't see why it'd be a problem. There should be plenty of pylon exposed to clamp to in the up position. Only thing you might want to do (good idea with the v-drive quad contour boom anyways) is tie a rope to the rear cleat to keep the boom from spring forward too much when unloaded in rapid fashion (read: faceplant).

One other recommendation, if you go with a BI boom, get an 18 inch extension. Might even need two to get free of the spray. At least on our VLX, the spray can be bad under 35 MPH or so. VTX is slightly shorter, but also slightly wider so spray might be as bad or worse.

I think he is asking about the pylon that 2013 and up VTX had as an option that sits up near the driver in the traditional DD location.

537C647F-BC97-4EA1-975E-29E455015FFB.JPG

Edited by oldjeep

I think he is asking about the pylon that 2013 and up VTX had as an option that sits up near the driver in the traditional DD location.

537C647F-BC97-4EA1-975E-29E455015FFB.JPG

Whoops! Didn't know they had that already in '13.

That I might be more leery of... How does it attach?

• Like 1

Whoops! Didn't know they had that already in '13.

That I might be more leery of... How does it attach?

It just plugs in to the floor socket and there is a release lever that you can see at the bottom in that picture. One of the boats I was looking at when I bought mine had it. Seemed solid, but all I did was grab it to see if it moved.

Edited by oldjeep

I would think slalom skiing would put way more pressure on the pylon than the boom. Especially skiing the course. IMO most of the holding force is split between the pylon mount and the steel cables attached at the nose coming off the boom.

LOTS of upward force on the pylon when people are hanging off the boom though. I've seen 250 lb guys hang with all their weight on the boom. Do the math on that and that's over 500 lbs of upward pull on the pylon. That's what would freak me out. If that let go, it could be nasty.

^^^ +1 , upwards pull would be the main concern, I'm 225, I do a lot of, just booming in not so nice water,

so many times I literally hang off the boom to get through big waves. There a lot of force there being that far out

on the boom with that weight.

Edited by Dare2goBare