Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SD6 808 wiring question

CJAY

Here are the specs

Stereo @ 4 Ohms 6 x 185 Watts @ 95A Stereo @ 2 Ohms 6 x 290 Watts @ 168A Mono @ 4 Ohms 3 x 585 Watts @ 168A Frequency Response 3dB - 8 Hz - 35 kHz

Only 3 bridged (unless they are 8ohm drivers but that's not likely).

If you think about it, running four speakers on two channels is the same load to the amp as four channels bridged down to 2.

so I could only run 3 speakers bridged on it then? Couldn't do anything in parallel

Its not a question of how many speakers, but a matter of the final impedance being bridged. That amp can run 3 chnl mode, 4 chnl mode, 5 chnl mode or 6 chnl mode. The amp can run no lower than 2 ohm per chnl or 4 ohm bridged. Two 4 ohm speakers in parallel = 2 ohm. You can run a pair in parallel per chnl for 145W net to each, but not bridged in parallel. No advantage series/bridged as the net is the same as 4 ohm stereo.

In additional to all the good advice above concerning impedance, bridging and stability, 290 watts is excessive for an 808. Keep in mind that this doesn't have the same voice coil as a Rev8, which is a larger coil and will handle that kind of power at the very top end.

There can be other reasons why an 8-inch speaker is not performing to its full potential based on its size. Baffle thickness and rigidity is one real possibility....among others.

In additional to all the good advice above concerning impedance, bridging and stability, 290 watts is excessive for an 808. Keep in mind that this doesn't have the same voice coil as a Rev8, which is a larger coil and will handle that kind of power at the very top end.

There can be other reasons why an 8-inch speaker is not performing to its full potential based on its size. Baffle thickness and rigidity is one real possibility....among others.

Right now I'm at 185, they just aren't really performing up to what I think they should, I'd love to get 250 watts to them, I'm having to run off my 420 aux right now with an aux cable and you can really tell the difference between the analog and digital, so I was trying to get a little more kick out of everything

Edited by CJAY

have you tried just cracking open the 420 to level match the input gains between the main and aux sources? That would probably go a long way towards solving your issue. Basically it sounds like the black box (or whatever you have going into the main input on the EQ) is stronger than the 3.5mm aux. If the gains on your amp are set for the higher level source, then you effectively lose some of your volume knob when you switch over to AUX. You should be able to balance the two by level matching at the EQ, then resetting your gains at the amps (if, as you probably will, you reduce the level on the main input and increase the level of the aux input).

Edited by shawndoggy

4 of them

Right now I'm at 185, they just aren't really performing up to what I think they should, I'd love to get 250 watts to them, I'm having to run off my 420 aux right now with an aux cable and you can really tell the difference between the analog and digital, so I was trying to get a little more kick out of everything

250W rms @ 14.5 would be an ok amount if you were starting the build, but going from 185 to 250 is not going to be the magic bullet. Sounds like the source signal is the week link. At what level is the 420's AUX gain set to? Im also curious about the other amp settings.

How do you change the 420 aux gain? i think the other amps are fine, when the HU wasn't crapped out the whole system sounded great. We used a cross over and gain tuner to get the amps set when we did the install

How do you change the 420 aux gain? i think the other amps are fine, when the HU wasn't crapped out the whole system sounded great. We used a cross over and gain tuner to get the amps set when we did the install

Check the manual... the gain pots are 10a and 10b in the diagram. Gotta take the top cover of the EQ off.

https://wetsounds.com/media/products/manuals/Wet_Sounds_WS420SQ_User_Manual.pdf

It helped huge, I couldn't do it by listening, my neighbors aren't fans of my boat stereo, so I just turned all 4 of them up a quarter turn and the stereo is louder and clearer than it was before I started having HU problems

Thank you for the help

Edited by CJAY

It helped huge, I couldn't do it by listening, my neighbors aren't fans of my boat stereo, so I just turned all 4 of them up a quarter turn and the stereo is louder and clearer than it was before I started having HU problems

Thank you for the help

You may want to think about turning the black box ones back down in case you ever get it working again. Otherwise you will be overgained on that side.