Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 23LSV... What were they thinking?

jsmail

We ordered our first Malibu back in Dec and it was delivered at the end of April. I have a lot of stereo experience but my wife absolutely put her foot down on me installing the stereo on our new boat. Something about drilling holes in the beautiful new gel coat... lol So we decided to go with the factory option.. I think option 3. Did they have someone who had never installed a stereo come up with the configuration? The 8 cabin speakers were hooked to the Punch 400x4 and the two Icon tower speakers were hooked in stereo to the Punch 600x4. So the cabin speakers were getting 50 watts a piece and the tower speakers 75 watts. Don't even get me started on the box for the Punch Sub because not only did it end up at about .7 cu ft, I could put my fingers through the corners of my "sealed" box. Well I guess all is well that ends well after dropping a pretty penny on the factory option I was able to salvage/change a few things and we are rocking out once again. I must say I was very disappointed in what came in the boat and even how it was hooked up.

So they left two channels of the tower amp empty rather than bridging it? Haven't heard that before.

Not sure what would be better off the cabin amp to 8 speakers than two per channel.

But there are bunches of threads on here regarding the lack of factory enclosure and many ways to fix it.

Not an uncommon problem, Malibu has never been great at the stereo thing. This is why a lot of people do a stereo delete and add there own components, you save a few bucks and get a much higher end system.

I realized that after the order had already been placed and I found this site... I have already changed the Sub and Sub amp out to a JL Audio 12W6v3 and XD600/1v2 with a slot ported 1.3 cu ft box. It sounds amazing and was well worth the money... I also changed out the Icons for a set of Rev 10s with a Syn 4 bridged powering them and used the Punch 600x4 to power the cabin speakers, which has made a huge difference.

Edited by jsmail
  • Like 2

Bummer to hear of the issues but glad you got it figured out. We ordered our boat with stereo 1 so HU and 4 speakers only. Want to sell a pair of Icon's?

I thought the tower speaker came with the 500.2 punch amp? which would give 125w to each speaker if you are running 4 of them in 2 ohms

edit: just saw your boat came with 2 tower speakers, that is a strange amp for 2

Edited by wheelman

I thought the tower speaker had the 500x2 also until I went to take the amp out. Just wiring the amps to their max configuration would have helped a ton. The 600x4 should have been hooked to the cabin speakers with the 400x4 bridged to the tower speakers with 200 watts a piece.

I thought the tower speaker had the 500x2 also until I went to take the amp out. Just wiring the amps to their max configuration would have helped a ton. The 600x4 should have been hooked to the cabin speakers with the 400x4 bridged to the tower speakers with 200 watts a piece.

I agree from a power standpoint, but keep in mind that their forward thinking is to be able to add that 2nd set of tower speakers. Running the 600/4 in stereo, allows for that 2nd set with no altering the boat build process. The amp is installed, setup and tuned the same way, whether its going to drive one or two pair. Bridging for a single pair would require the assembler to reset and retune that amp as they put it in.

What did you build sheet say? mine say 500w tower amp with 2 set of tower speakers. Guess I will find out tomorrow when I pick up boat

Does it really matter? Whatever's there is going to be underpowered, with stickers saying you void your warranty if you tune your amps (correctly!).

Fair enough! Those stickers will be the first thing coming off though until I get back from holiday

I realized that after the order had already been placed and I found this site... I have already changed the Sub and Sub amp out to a JL Audio 12W6v3 and XD600/1v2 with a slot ported 1.3 cu ft box. It sounds amazing and was well worth the money... I also changed out the Icons for a set of Rev 10s with a Syn 4 bridged powering them and used the Punch 600x4 to power the cabin speakers, which has made a huge difference.

If you don't mind me asking, did you put that 12 inch w6 In the same spot as the factory one like underneath the steering wheel down by your feet? Just toasted my sub and was planning on using the same woofer just wasn't sure if there was enough room to build a ported enclosure down there.

Thanks

I am pretty diassapointed with my 3 amp 13 speaker 15 vlx, sounds lame compared tot the stereo shop installed amps, sub tower speakers I had on an 08 vtx, the factory stereos in short have good components but are a garbage set up for what you pay, i tweeted the amp settings but the sub is still a joke.

I am pretty diassapointed with my 3 amp 13 speaker 15 vlx, sounds lame compared tot the stereo shop installed amps, sub tower speakers I had on an 08 vtx, the factory stereos in short have good components but are a garbage set up for what you pay, i tweeted the amp settings but the sub is still a joke.

This is a known issue though and if you had asked here first the advice would've been the same. So there is no one to blame but ...

This is a known issue though and if you had asked here first the advice would've been the same. So there is no one to blame but ...

. My 15 was off the floor not ordered, I'm planning to order a 16 haven't researched yet but may go a different route on stereo.

Take it back and say this is BS for the money you put in it, tell them to give your money back and take it out. Take that cash somewhere else. Boooom