Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any slalom skiers who wake surf?

DanSchutt

Thinking about buying a 2013 VTX or newer. I want to get into surfing but I mostly ski the slalom course. This boat seems like the boat to do it all. The concern I have is the tower interfering with the rope using the center removable pylon. Will this be a problem at shorter line lenghts? I rarely ski past 28 off but just a question I have. Appreciate any info on this matter.

Thanks

Thinking about buying a 2013 VTX or newer. I want to get into surfing but I mostly ski the slalom course. This boat seems like the boat to do it all. The concern I have is the tower interfering with the rope using the center removable pylon. Will this be a problem at shorter line lenghts? I rarely ski past 28 off but just a question I have. Appreciate any info on this matter.

Thanks

Jason63,

On the G3 tower the rope will start to interfere at 32off. This happens on our FXi (same hull as VTX just a direct drive). I believe the removable pylon sits in the same location on the VTX as my FXi. The 32off pass can be made but the tower certainly doesn't make it any easier. I think 35off or greater would be very challenging. 15,22 and 28off there is no issue.

Skiing behind my VLX 2011 is not too bad. Depends on speed. Better 34 -37. Actually flattens out quite a bit at 37. I am propped for wake surfing and the RPMls are up there close to 5000. 1235 acme prop. pulls like heck !

Best if spotter is up front or run with some weight in front tank. Strip out all extra weight including acc table, etc. 1/4 tank fuel. I go 18 off @ 35 mph but it gets more interesting as you go shorter. I find its great as you cut right , after you cut left, coming back to center good then a firm dip on the far wake with a little spray in the face ( firm kick and spray) . The wakes not bad just a bit firm in that one spot.

Until 1 year ago, I was a slalom skier only. We have a 2001 Malibu Sportster. That said, I wanted a boat to have a day on the lake with kids and other families and the Sportster just does not cut it - too small. I looked around, tried skiing behind a few boats and decided on a 22VLX. This boat is awesome for its purpose, but skiing behind it is simply terrible compared to the Sportster. If you can slalom, you will certainly have the skills to do it behind the 22VLX, but it will remind you of skiing behind any other I/O boat. Surfing on the other hand is awesome. The wakes behind a ski boat can only be created by small ski boats, plain and simple. SO instead of selling the sportster for $8k, I just decided to keep it for ski days, and the VLX for surf/family days. If I could get an FXI with surfgate, I bet I would be happy, however.