Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski Behide i Ride

brettmcox

But never got any links to pics. Of skiing. I know that this is the 23wake, and I am sure the wake at speed will be near what the sn2001 from the 80s would be like?

21' boat. Could have been ordered with either the wake or diamond hull.

Look for a Sunsetter (not the LXI or LX). I had a 2002 Sunsetter and it is under 21 feet. It's the same hull as the LXI but they shortened the rear ski locker to get the overall length down. The rest of the boat is the same but confirm it is on a diamond hull. They were available in various configurations depending on year.

Incorrect. The Sunsetter LX/Sunkicker/Wakesettter (dd)/Iride series was built on the SV23 wake hull. Unless a person was exceedingly lucky & knew someone at Malibu, you couldn't order one with a diamond hull. I know of exactly 1 person that was able to pull this off with any of the Ride boats. It's possible that yours may have been on the diamond hull, but that would have been out of the ordinary.

I have an IRIDE. It is the same hull as the SSLXI (diamond hull) its a great all around hull. The wake is small for slalom at 34 and at 40 for footing its good as well. When the wedge is down, center ballast tank full and loaded with people, the wake is really good.

Incorrect. See my response above, you have a wake hull unless you specifically were able to order it with a diamond, which is doubtful.

Since when is an iRide considered a cross over boat? It's essentially an older Response. Certainly not an XTI. Just doesn't have all the bling & features of the newer designs.

The Sunsetter LX/Sunkicker/Wakesettter (dd)/Iride series was the original crossover platform for Malibu. It was marketed that way & at the time was sought by consumers for that end. How we look at crossovers today may be different, but it doesn't change the purpose for which they were built originally.

Should have stated, 5 kids, 4 adults with one jump seat, I think that is doable...

It will be tight. I owned an '04 Wakesetter (predecessor to the Iride) & while it may be doable, it won't be comfortable.

The wake will be fine for skiing above 32mph, but you'll be shocked at how it will build below that - especially with that many people in the boat. For wakeboarding, sure that's fine, but for skiers trying to ski at 28 mph it will be more than just a bump that they'll be dealing with. This specific point may be the largest difference between the Sunsetter LXi & the Iride hull - skiing below 32 mph. I have pics that I can dig up, but I'd seriously consider something on the diamond hull if you can manage it.

• Like 1

Thanks wakegirl.... I am coming from ssn/san210. When pulling my kids at 21, there is a little more than a bump, pulling wife at 25 27... there is a bump... when I ski at 34...still a bump..

I hope you understand that I was understating it. The wake at 28 is large with a small crew & only gets bigger with that many people in the boat. The other thing is that it's hard, noticeably more firm than a diamond boat. Good for wakeboarding, not so much for slalom. If you've got your heart set on it, then fine. But at the very least demo it & try to simulate that much weight in the boat during the demo to ensure that you'll be happy with it before buying.