Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski Behide i Ride

brettmcox

Think about trading my Super Sport Naq 210 (Same as SAN210) for a I Ride for Better Ski wake...

I know that my SSN was MENT to be Cross Over set up... but it is NOT. I know the NON Sport (non V drive) is better...

But i wanted to know, will a I-Ride meet these needs well.

IT comes with Plumbed REAR SAC in trunk, Wedge, and front bag.

I need a boat that will work better for my Fam.

I ski and Wake board well for 40 year old.

Wife Skis OK (@26 to 28 MPH) on 2 skiies most of the time.

Kids are 6, 9 and 12 and learning to ski and wakeboard.

For the kids skiing at 16 to 21 mph, the SSN/SAN-210 with NO ballast and 5-6 people in the boat... and Full tank of gas... Gear... still puts out a moster wake.

I know that the wake will be HARD and i am OK with that .... before my SSN/SAN 210 i had a SN2001.

My end goal is to...

Have seating for 9+

Able to REC SKI with 6 or 7 people in the boat. (tube with 7-9)

OK open water ski with 3 or 4 people in the boat. at 32-34 MPH.

Int wakeboard for myself and kids.

One think that the Iride has is... Ski points on the Rear of the boat. Thus, i can pull the kids with people in the back seat, something that a Correct Craft DD (206 or Air or Sport) does not have STOCK...

Link to Ski Wakes on I ride would be great.

I do not have any info on an iRide, I have never been in one. I think you should add a Sunsetter LXI to your search list. i think it meets a lot of your requirements! My requirements are almost identical to yours, except I'm younger (26) and ski a little harder. With a extra fatsac and a wedge it is a great intermediate wakeboard wake.

^^ Yep.

I-Ride is on the wake hull while the SSLXi is on the Diamond hull so it should have a smaller wake at skiing speeds. Get a test pull if you can but both should be better for skiing than a 210.

Might have a look at a Response FXI 20' . Can you argue the waterline over the boat length? The Sunsetter LXI has an over hang trunk but is on the shorter hull? The boat shows 21.6 but the water line is less!

So the Sunsetter's waterline would be 20.6 same as a Response LXI. You would need to look at 99 - through 2004 for the SS LXI.

The FXI is on a Cut Diamond hull. Its a very nice ski wake.

You could also look for an xti. They have a little more seating/storage and are available on the diamond (ski) hull whereas the iride is on the wake hull.

Try a 100' rope for the kids. Harder to get good pictures though. The wake is so wide back there they can turn back and forth and still stay inside. Find a Diamond hull. At $27 boat will ave lots of hours or some other issue...

Look for a Sunsetter (not the LXI or LX). I had a 2002 Sunsetter and it is under 21 feet. It's the same hull as the LXI but they shortened the rear ski locker to get the overall length down. The rest of the boat is the same but confirm it is on a diamond hull. They were available in various configurations depending on year.

I have an Iride, i ski open water most time 36PMH, its hard and its definitely going to be harder and steeper than a response. But its for the price you can get one at, its a good boat and i would buy it again. Plan on keeping mine until i can afford a VTX.

After talking to a few people, sounds like the iride is a fair fit, but might not be worth 26 to 28k (asking price 29k). Since new they went for 32 to 37.... I think I should stick to sv211 or sn206 or possibly diamond hull bu. Unless I can get it for 23 to 24. I am not so much worried about the hardest of the wake at skiing speed (coming from sn2001 aND ssn/San aND cobalt i/o. Think more about skiable at 19 to 23 for kids.

I'm a little biased but I chose a 2001 SSVLX to have room for lots of family and friends. The 01 was in my price range at less than 25 with tower and wedge, low hours and well kept. Coming from an I/o the wakes after 23 mph are nice, there, but nice. 32 and 34 are good for me on slalom. This 01 has the diamond hull and is a 21 foot. I can't comment on any of the DD models.

Just to clarify, wakes at 19 to 21 can be a tad bumpy, start smoothing at 22 and have a much easier shape due to the hull shape at 23 and above.

I have an IRIDE. It is the same hull as the SSLXI (diamond hull) its a great all around hull. The wake is small for slalom at 34 and at 40 for footing its good as well. When the wedge is down, center ballast tank full and loaded with people, the wake is really good.

The only ride series I see unless I am missing them in the resources section here shows them on a wake hull.

While I agree the i-Ride would likely be on a wake hull I wouldn't doubt it could have been ordered on a diamond. Malibu has traditionally offered both hulls as an option on many of their boats, our resource guide usually shows the most common.

Cool. So see it in person or get a good pic of the hull turndown if looking at the ride series and looking for a diamond hull. I found that to be true when looking for my current vlx.

Since when is an iRide considered a cross over boat? It's essentially an older Response. Certainly not an XTI. Just doesn't have all the bling & features of the newer designs.

In the original post, one of the requirements is seating for 9+. I don't see how that's possible in an iRide, or any direct drive for that matter. I think 9+ is where it starts to get cramped on my vRide.

• Like 2

But never got any links to pics. Of skiing. I know that this is the 23wake, and I am sure the wake at speed will be near what the sn2001 from the 80s would be like?