Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My Rescued Malibu 21 XLV Project

unbelievable, I bought a 2006 wakesetter a few years ago and was so stoked to start shopping for one as I assumed most boats that age were in good shape. I was wrong!

This thing takes that to extremes, looking forward to seeing the transformation

you paid how much!!?

I bought a boat just a few years older that was MINT for just a few grand more. I was expecting like $9,000 not $15,000

• Like 1

At least you paid the right price. That boat in top shape brings 30-40k depending on options. If you do most of the work yourself you can come out on top for sure.

That boat has the newer hull so is worth a good bit more than an 04 and older vlx or 03 and older lsv.

Retail on those boats is mid 40's. The cheapest one I could find for sale was $39,000. I can't get my money back easily when it's fixed up

I wish you luck and can't wait to see the build pics!!

Lets just hope that motor is alright.

The "factory copy" cover on Ebay that I have on my 05 and I think everyone is referring to is made to fit around the illusion tower so it wont work for you. Its a great deal IMO at $240 and you may be able to have it modified but if storing outside, I would have one made for your boat (and DO NOT do black). I can't link it in my reply but search "Malibu LSV cover" and it'll pop up. Its for a 21LSV which is same dimensions as our VLX's.

be patient and hold out for the evolution cover or order a similar one through bakesonline.com. They are custom and they take a while, but it's SOOOOOOOO worth it to have a high quality trailerable cover. Cheap covers are terrible in comparison.

• Like 4

i heard from a friend just today that evolution is booked through October right now.

+1 I can confirm that as we're trying to get a new cover for the LSV and the earliest the could have one done for us would be late October/early November.

The boat has 341 hours on it now.

My plans are to have it on the water this Saturday or Sunday as long as things go as planned and I don't find any issues

The boat has 341 hours on it now.

My plans are to have it on the water this Saturday or Sunday as long as things go as planned and I don't find any issues

Dude...don't rush it. Take a week or 2 to get things done before you install all the seats back in... Take the time to do the maintenance others have mentioned above. Just because it started up ok doesn't mean you should run it with all the old fuel, lubricants, impeller...etc...

Unless you just mean for a water test...

Fluids, filters, spark plugs and lubricants will be changed by tomorrow afternoon. Nothing else left to do except take it out on the water and see what else it needs. I won't have the impeller by then, but my buddy is staying behind me on his Moomba just in case.

• Like 3

I would suggest hooking it up to a hose and making sure water is flowing through the engine and out the exhaust. If there is no water in the engine it won't register on the temp gauge and you could overheat without knowing. My engine runs from 157-162 pretty consistently.

• Like 2

It's already been hooked up to a hose 3 times and ran 15 minutes each. Temp stayed at 159 and oil pressure was 47psi. There is a link to the video a few posts up of it idling when it first cranked