Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Intake Filter

kchadd

I just bought a 2006 Malibu wakesetter VLX and I am boating on Lake Austin (the boat was in Dallas previously). Another malibu owner suggested I get an intake filter added to the boat since Lake Austin has a lot of debris right now. It's going to be about $200 with parts and labor. Is this really necessary? Or should i be ok without it?

Anything that makes its way through the raw water pick up, should, pass through the Johnson raw water pump then the transmission cooler, should.

But, you can't see these to check & can only watch the temp gauge.

There will be a few boats out there with raw water impeller rubber parts jammed up against the transmission cooler screen which IMHO would be worse than anything that makes its way in the raw water pick up.

Weed is the biggest culprit to watch out for.

Most would look at it $200 if fairly cheap insurance where you can easily visually check for water flow.

All depends on how much value you put on a good day on the water