Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got the worst news today

barefootboy

Had my boat looked at and was told it had some serious internal problems. Needs a complete rebuild($4500 possibly depending on how bad 6 month warranty) or new motor roughly $5500. :(

I guess I would go back with what was in it but this was just thrown in my lap so have not researched yet. $5500 was installed. Don't know if that is a good price or not with out calling around. I'll check that link. Thanks!

Nah, that's only 270hp oldjeep! He should stick with something at least at 310 (where he's at now).

Same basic LONG block that they make all the Indmar motors from - GM is just more honest about the output ;)

Rated at 295 hp @ 5000 / 355 LB FT @ 3600 (actual power levels may vary depending on OEM calibration and application)

(Initially I think I had a link to the non-vortec long block)

Edited by oldjeep

5500 installed would be a fair price with that engine oldjeep linked. I wouldn't do a rebuild over that brand new one. The horsepower rating will change depending on what is bolted onto it. The base engine is the same. You will keep your current ignition and fuel system, intake, exhaust manifolds etc.

• Like 1

5500 installed would be a fair price with that engine oldjeep linked. I wouldn't do a rebuild over that brand new one. The horsepower rating will change depending on what is bolted onto it. The base engine is the same. You will keep your current ignition and fuel system, intake, exhaust manifolds etc.

And IF (big if) you or some friends are capable of swapping the engine yourself then you can save some big $$$. You don't say what boat you have, but if it is a direct drive it is a whole lot easier than doing a v-drive.

• Like 1

Is your boat a direct drive barefootboy? I removed all my components down to the long block, removed the long block, and took it to a guy for a rebuild. He did that, then he and I put the long block back in. Then I reinstalled all of the components. It's really not that hard.

You beat me to it jeep!

• Like 1

Boats looks new inside and out. Had it 2 seasons. It's an '03 DD Wakesetter. I will have it fixed one way or another. No place on earth I would rather be than in that boat spending time w/ friends and family. Priceless

Had about 550 hrs on it

Where are you?

I bought a boat a number of years ago with a bad engine. I bought a GM performance short block, ZZ4 at the time, and switched everything over. I think I was into it for $3k total all said and done. Having dropped a piston, your heads may be toast, but vortec heads are a dime a dozen anymore. Good luck with it all.

• Like 1

Just make sure if you do go with a rebuild that you make sure the re-builder has a really good reputation and a solid warranty. I've seen people go through a lot of trouble due to sub par rebuilds.

• Like 1

Thanks. I am in NC. Will have to start doing my research. If I went with rebuild he a 6 month warranty. It's one of those things u really don't know what u got to u dig in and if it's bad u would have been better w/ a new motor to start with

The biggest issue with doing it yourself is lifting the old one out. You can't get it out with a standard cherry picker style engine lift.

Yup, you need an a-frame or a hoist built into the ceiling like I've got in my garage.

• Like 1

One thing to remember, the blocks in our BU's are marine blocks, for example, my L96 has six bolt mains etc.

Just to keep in mind when long blocking.

Sorry to here. Hope it all works out for you!

• Like 1