Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 VLX - Steering Issue

Hi, I had a steering issue on my boat this evening and thought I would check here to see if someone could help. After heading out on the water I noticed that my steering was sticking when trying to turn right... i would keep turning right, a bit at a time, the boat would not react, and then it would quickly turn a bunch to the right. It seemed to stop, and then after boating for an hours or so, while surfing, something happened and I lost steering to the right. Turning right seems to be fine but if I steer all the way left the boat would still creep to the right. After a lot of turning circles, starts and stops, I was able to get the boat moving straight with a slight left turn when needed, and crawled back to the marina. Any ideas? is this something I could possibly fix myself or am I destined to have to pull her out of the water and get to a shop?

Thanks for your help.

I would have someone help you out and check a few things. I would remove the engine side panel on the drivers side hatch. Climb in there with a flashlight while having you helper ready to turn the steering wheel. I would shine the light and observer the tiller arm as they cycle the steering all the way each direction. I have seen the tiller arm get tangled up with the hose running from the impeller pump over to the trans.cooler. Watch to see that it's not making contact with that hose or potentially getting caught up with the bilge pump etc.