Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anybody got an extra ACL?

MountainMan

Tore my ACL wakeboarding about a week ago. Just hit the wake a little off and crashed. It was a pretty uneventful crash but I knew I tore it right away. I tore my ACL in my other knee in HS, so I'm aware of the long road to recovery. I elected to wait until after Labor Day to have surgery to get it fixed. I'm 30 this year so not old but also not young either.

Not exactly what I wanted to happen mid summer. Anybody here had their ACL fixed? I'm curious how riding will be post surgery. I barefoot aswell so I'm curious about the recovery on that too.

Edited by MountainMan

I've done both of mine. Right knee when I was 18, left knee when I was 22. Used Patella tendon on both. I'm good as new, squatting for long periods of time get annoying. Get your range of motion back, then rehab, rehab..

Bummer!!

Rehab and patience are key. Be sure to work focus on range of motion and balance. Loss of Balance is an odd side effect that you may need to work on. I have been through it twice and if you rehab correctly you can be back with no restrictions in 9 months.

Good luck and stay positive!

Good news is at 30 you are still a baby and great healer. I had my right shoulder done at 40 and again at 55 - skiing the best I ever have at 57 (slow learner??). Do your rehab and find a a good sports med surgeon for your knee. I also ski with a 57 yr old with total hip replacement Oct '14 - he's already back at 28 off, and a 53 yr old with a total knee done Nov '14. Get it done soon and enjoy a great 2015-16 season!!

Edited by Rednucleus

I tore my ACL at 32 years old, which was 7 years ago. Had reconstruction done - Hamstring tendon method. I did all the rehab specified and then did a little more. I still notice a little disparity in hamstring strength on that leg, although only when doing isolated hamstring exercises. I don't hesitate to do any activity with it - wake boarding included. Good luck with the surgery/recovery.

• Like 1

Good luck with the recovery! I tore mine a little over 2 years ago on a downhill ski jump (at age 32) and had it repaired with my hamstring tendons. The stupid thing tore again almost exactly a year later in a co-ed pickup basketball game (just a little twist is all it took).

The knee felt pretty good after the first surgery - did a little wakeboarding less than 5 months after the surgery and felt good doing it a month later (only went 3 times or so). Downhill skiing felt pretty good 11 months out.

Bad luck is probably (mostly) responsible for my second tare, but that aside I was much happier with the patellar tendon repair that time around. That big fat tendon behind your knee (on the inside) - gone if you go with the hamstring. Rehabbing that in addition to the knee is a real pain and it definitely hasn't come back to the point where I can't notice the difference.

I had a lot less pain after the second surgery but that may be in part due to the fact that the bone tunnels they drill for the 'new' ACL were already there. I've had some serious scar tissue issues to make up for it though.

I'm able to do some wakeboarding this year pretty comfortably though (almost 15 months since the second surgery). The feeling of 'frailty' (or rather the concern) sucks more than anything else now. I tried really hard not to worry about it after the first surgery...paid for that dearly. Hopefully learned my lesson while trying to keep on doing what I want to do now!

You can have mine, I had my right knee done with pateller about 5 years ago. I'm happier with it than my "good knee" not saying I wish for injury, but having my acl replaced with a pateller tendon turned out great. Good luck!

took two opinions before i picked my dr. First doc told me he had a Malibu, but wasnt sure about any of the details about it, model, options or anything....Instantly knew he wasn't a good match. At the time I worked for a MasterCraft dealer, and I was a diehard Nautique fan. Damn Malibu owners :-)

I've done both. Both patellar grafts. Worst part is the harvest, not the installation of the "new" ACL. Mine are pretty good. Not great, but since both have been done I don't rememebr the difference!

I've done both. Both patellar grafts. Worst part is the harvest, not the installation of the "new" ACL. Mine are pretty good. Not great, but since both have been done I don't rememebr the difference!

85 Barefoot how did it feel the first time you barefooted? Do you wear a brace?

No I did not. I did for wakeboarding however. None for slalom.

Barefooting is actually a pretty good rehab for it IMO. Those "static" exercises like a good barefoot position will be a lot of your rehab anyway. Might as well be at 40 mph, haha...j/k. It will feel good.

• Like 2

Tore my ACL wakeboarding about a week ago. Just hit the wake a little off and crashed. It was a pretty uneventful crash but I knew I tore it right away. I tore my ACL in my other knee in HS, so I'm aware of the long road to recovery. I elected to wait until after Labor Day to have surgery to get it fixed. I'm 30 this year so not old but also not young either.

Not exactly what I wanted to happen mid summer. Anybody here had their ACL fixed? I'm curious how riding will be post surgery. I barefoot aswell so I'm curious about the recovery on that too.

Hydrofoil. You go bigger anyways.
  • Like 2