Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1993 Euro Steering Issues

Hello all,

I need to lean on my fellow Euro/Skier 195 peers to help with some steering issues.

1. Steering wheel loose and wobbly. Play from left to right and top and bottom when shaking back and forth. Also about 10-15 degree play in steering.

What I have done so far:

1. Removed the steering wheel and rubber boot

2. Tightened every bolt and screw that I could find under the rubber boot.

3. Tilt steering pin that is on the bottom where the notches go had worked itself out of the starboard side hole. Re positioned and set with a few taps of a hammer.

4. Put everything back together and it's better, but still not as tight as I would like it.

2. Hard to steer at medium speed with the infamous jerk as I straighten the wheel. Steering at faster speeds and idle is fine, but seems to be a bit spongy when turning all of the way to the left.

What I have done so far:

1. Some research including this thread.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25318-rudder-repair-malibu-skier-195-euro-f3/

What I am assuming as of right now:

1. I need a new tilt assembly from bakes or skidim

2. I need a new rudder assembly as the plastic bushings are no longer available? I am still searching, so if anyone know where I can get them, let me know. I know I can have brass bushing made, but for $210, would it be better to put that towards a brand new assembly with the zerk fittings?

If anyone has any other ideas, I am open to suggestions.

Btw my issues were just like yours. My cable was still good. Tilt mech was destroyed due to backing out of screw. Steering gear had a bit of slop.

• 1 year later...

Ok, finally got some funds to work on the steering issues. I have been referenced to this part by members 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001IUVYX8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1438137486&sr=8-2π=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=Teleflex+tilt&dpPl=1&dpID=41nfYSr%2BpZL&ref=plSrch

and this part by skidim

http://www.skidim.com/TILT-ASSEMBLY-TAPERED-SHAFT/productinfo/UFLX52/

i have a 93 euro. The one referenced by skidim does not look like the one I have, but the teleflex looks dead on. Anyone else have any experience with tilt steering swap out on a euro that can tell me which one will work?

@Lanman:  My Echelon uses the Teleflex unit, IIRC, the Euro F-3 used the very same unit.  Teleflex unit as noted by Old Jeep.  Some of your issue is the rudder play, particularly the hitch in the steering load feedback.  General stiffness is normally a cable and you found lots of the slop issues with the wheel itself. 

Edited by Woodski

Yeah, I know. I'm doing a 2 phased approach. First, cable, helm, and tilt mech ($500). Then new rudder assembly ($500). I will try and call skidim and verify the part number they gave me.

TILT HELM, ROTARY TELEFLEX ASSEMBLY  1.00$ 122.50000$ 122.50

6307685TILT ASSEMBLY TELEFLEX SPLINED  1.00$ 189.00000$ 189.00

TELSSC6117SAFE-T STEERING CABLE ONLY  1.00$ 141.00000$ 141.00

Above worked.  skidim

Edited by malibuparadise