Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sticky Trailer Suspension??

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem as I'm having?

I have a 02' RLX on a single axle trailer and it seems like there is no give in the torsion axle. It has six ply tires, and at max air pressure and highway speed, when you hit a bump the trailer will bounce, and you can see daylight under the tires in the mirror. Seems to me that the tires are taking all the impact and the suspension is doing nothing?

Whatcha think?

Thanks in advance, Colby.

Not an expert here but that doesn't sound right. With the boat on the trailer, the tires should nevetr leave the pavement unless yuou go over a BIG MOTHER bump at speed. Without the boat on may be a different story.

Here's a way to check the travel of the torsion axle. With the boat on the trailer, tires at max inflation and on a flat surface, get a floor jack or bottle jack and jack the axle as close to the tire as you can without touching the tire. Measure the distance from the axle to the ground before you raise the axle. Jack up the axle until the tire is just lifted off the ground and measure the distance again at the same reference point.

Now you have a basis from which to contact the trailer manufacturer or your dealer. Between the flex of the tire and travel of the torsion axle, I would think that there should be at least 2.5 to 4 inches of travel before the tire leaves the ground. I am a firm believer that you should run your trailer tires at the max inflation rate. However, you might also try running them 5 lbs lower and see if that helps.

Take those measurements and tell us the results.

Edited by apexeon
Here's a way to check the travel of the torsion axle. With the boat on the trailer, tires at max inflation and on a flat surface, get a floor jack or bottle jack and jack the axle as close to the tire as you can without touching the tire. Measure the distance from the axle to the ground before you raise the axle. Jack up the axle until the tire is just lifted off the ground and measure the distance again at the same reference point.

Now you have a basis from which to contact the trailer manufacturer or your dealer. Between the flex of the tire and travel of the torsion axle, I would think that there should be at least 2.5 to 4 inches of travel before the tire leaves the ground. I am a firm believer that you should run your trailer tires at the max inflation rate. However, you might also try running them 5 lbs lower and see if that helps.

I did this last night, and found that the axle is 9 7/8" off the ground at rest, and when the tire lifts it is at 11". 1 1/8" doesnt seem like much to me. I also took the tire off to look around, and found that the tire has been bottoming out in the top of the fender, and the back of the tire is rubbing against the carpet on the fender bunk all the time. The hub arm is on a splined shaft, so I know I can address the ride height and back spacing by indexing it, but I still dont think the torsion is working properly or worn out.

I'm going to call Boatmate trailers today and talk to them, but any info that any of you have would also be appreciated.

Colby

I did this last night, and found that the axle is 9 7/8" off the ground at rest, and when the tire lifts it is at 11". 1 1/8" doesnt seem like much to me. I also took the tire off to look around, and found that the tire has been bottoming out in the top of the fender, and the back of the tire is rubbing against the carpet on the fender bunk all the time. The hub arm is on a splined shaft, so I know I can address the ride height and back spacing by indexing it, but I still dont think the torsion is working properly or worn out.

I'm going to call Boatmate trailers today and talk to them, but any info that any of you have would also be appreciated.

Colby

If I understand your post, you only have 1.25 inches of travel. That sounds like about how much give the tire would have but the axle has little to no give. However, you stated the tire had rubbing the fender which would that the axle is flexing.

I guess my next question would be how much clearance is there between the fender and the tire?

Moving the swing arm on the shaft would be an option but I think I would call boatmate first.

Keep me posted.

Thanks for your help guys.

Peter,

I dont really have a dealer :( I bought this boat from a private party recently, and have had a couple real bad experiences with the parts dept at the Malibu dealer in Denver in the last couple weeks. I finally ended up ordering some parts I needed from a dealer in SLC UT. That being said, do you guys ship?

So because of my dealer issue, I called Boatmate, and they were great. He told me the same thing about the recall, and said that he would be happy to ship one directly to me. Nice to see they stand behind their product. I have to wait a couple weeks, but thats not so bad.

Thanks again for your help.

Colby

We do ship. Sorry to hear about Tommy's service not being there. I always thought Leif did a pretty good job at Performance, but they no longer carry Malibu's -

Peter