Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tillys marine service

wakeNsurf

Anybody had good service from Tillys marine? Brought the boat in on 7/1 for first service and some warranty issues and as of today its not done and Im being told to pick it up and bring it back at the end of season and they will finish whats needed.

I had a great experience buying from them, but Im thinking about trying the dealer in Vegas for future services even though its 90 miles in the wrong direction from where I keep the boat

It seems it's always a "great experience BUYING" from people, but it's the service after the sale that ends up being important and separates the good dealers from the bad. Maybe it is really a busy time for them and they have to prioritize what services they can provide for everyone bringing boats in and some of your problems can wait. But from the way you describe it, they have not handled it appropriately. This maybe a one time issue for them, or, it may indicate how they will treat you in the future also?

I don't understand why these dealers don't say the following....

"We know that you have a lot of cosmetic issues and minor stuff. However, this is a SUPER busy time of year. We are absolutely going to fix everything you need but in the interest of getting the most out of your summer why don't we do it at the end of the year? We could fix it right now but it might take weeks to get everything done. The decision is yours but we are recommended a late season fix. What do you say"

99/100 people would say okay, let's do it at the end of the year. And this goes for all boat brands. This is the most basic, common sense customer service there is.

My current dealer won't even bother with that crap right now just for that reason. They basically tell people, "yeah we're not fixing that right now" and their service department is the BEST I have ever seen or heard of.

• Like 4

I think the HB location only has 1 tech that works on the boats. They are super knowledgable on I/o's but are still learning the wake boat stuff. I had my boat there for a damper plate in the winter and they had it for a reasonable amount of time.

The norco shop is bigger, so you may be better off there.

FYI, the ocean is right across PCH so be ready to start buffing out all your aluminum racks and everything else. The salty air wreaks havoc on boats sitting outside there.

Anybody had good service from Tillys marine? Brought the boat in on 7/1 for first service and some warranty issues and as of today its not done and Im being told to pick it up and bring it back at the end of season and they will finish whats needed.

I had a great experience buying from them, but Im thinking about trying the dealer in Vegas for future services even though its 90 miles in the wrong direction from where I keep the boat

The dealer in Vegas is Boulder Boats, i can't say enough positive about this group! They go above and beyond, they also give you a strait answer even if it is the one you don't want to hear. If they tell you 1 week it is one week, if they say next day, it is next day. No run around, no games just strait up good people.

I've bought 4 boats from Tillys and they have been great. I do know they get slammed this time of year as they service most boats, not just Malibu and Axis. When my boat came in, it was the week before 4th of july, they had 26 boats in service, trying to get them all out, plus the new boats being sold (and that was at one location). I have a good relationship with them, and all the boats I have owned had some sort of issue, but they took care of the major ones to keep me on the water, and fixed minor stuff in the off season (i.e gel coat, vinyl, etc)

Like Vapor blue said, if the boat is usable and the issues that remain do not hinder performance, use that good looking boat!

Edited by wakebrdr94

Well I only had a few issues not a whole list although one is the main computer has one button that does not function at all (kinda important one, lets me save surf/ wakeboard settings) I called (two weeks ahead) and made an appointment with them when they said they could take care of it and I did say I would not need the boat back until the 20th since I was going out of town. I am picking up the boat and using it for the rest of the season, however if I didn't spend the last week following up the only thing that would have been done is the 10 hour service....I didn't need to drag the boat 267 miles from where I use it for a freaking oil change. As for the computer, they just looked at it for the first time last week when I asked what was going on...now I'm being told that it probably will have to be changed out that its not a software issue....well if they had checked that 2-3 weeks ago it could have already been replaced and I could have enjoyed that function of my 100k boat...

It could just be an issue of lots of work and just a few techs. It does not mean they are bad, just overworked. As it is, better to change oil at the right time rather than a toasted engine, or one whose life is now shorter. Sometimes it's better to cut some slack. I'm just offering a view point though but maybe it will ease the pain.

Well I only had a few issues not a whole list although one is the main computer has one button that does not function at all (kinda important one, lets me save surf/ wakeboard settings) I called (two weeks ahead) and made an appointment with them when they said they could take care of it and I did say I would not need the boat back until the 20th since I was going out of town. I am picking up the boat and using it for the rest of the season, however if I didn't spend the last week following up the only thing that would have been done is the 10 hour service....I didn't need to drag the boat 267 miles from where I use it for a freaking oil change. As for the computer, they just looked at it for the first time last week when I asked what was going on...now I'm being told that it probably will have to be changed out that its not a software issue....well if they had checked that 2-3 weeks ago it could have already been replaced and I could have enjoyed that function of my 100k boat...

EEE YAH. Changing my tune from my previous post. Did you buy the boat from HB? Growing pains within the Tilly's enterprise (historically one site) could be an explanation but not an excuse. It sounds to me that once you said i will not need it back until the 20th everything else in the service managers ears was white noise. You went on the backburner and then fell off the hotplate altogether. You did your best by being courteous yet they appear to have taken that for granted. A business is only as good as it's people and I am sure that if you take your concerns further up the foodchain a repeat for you or anyone else could be avoided. Brett would want to know.

Do you have bluetooth and the mobile device gateway? If so you should be able to download the perfect pull app and create and save new presets from your phone. It's actually much easier to set them up that way too.

I bought the boat from the Norco location and have nothing but good things to say about that transaction. I chose HB because I live 2 miles from there and was told they could handle everything, no other reason they were no busier or slower than the Norco location. I spoke to Brett this morning, he apparently heard of issues I was having and gave me a call. He apologized profusely that my boat had been there so long and is having Malibu overnight the new computer screen that is the issue. I appreciate the long and in depth conversation I had with him regarding my boat and believe he will do everything in his power to correct this in my eyes.

I also appreciate all the feed back I got from here, it has led me to believe this is not Tillys normal operating procedure and was hopefully a one time deal.

Also I do have Bluetooth and the mobile device gateway so I will be trying this our ASAP!

Thanks

• Like 2

Also I do have Bluetooth and the mobile device gateway so I will be trying this our ASAP!

Thanks

It's like a million percent easier on the app. Trying to create and save a pre-set with the maliview buttons is lame after you figure out how the app works.

wakeNSurf

I bought my boat from Norco, and at the 10 hr service (dumbest service ever). I gave them a small laundry list of fixes. They returned the boat with the 10 hr service stuff done, but NOT ONE laundry list fix was done. I accepted the fact that I will only be using them for warranty issues and that all services will be done by a freelance malibu tech. Your not alone. I do currently have my boat being serviced by them as we speak, they have 2 weeks to fix the issues that i gave them. I will report back once the boat is finished.