Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski Safe Insurance.... Thoughts?

plick1221

I am looking to purchase a 2015 22 VLX this week. A friend recommended Ski Safe. The quote looks great. Does anyone have advice to offer on SKi Safe or others to consider.

Just a FYI. I quoted with Boat US and the quote was 1000/yr vs Ski Safe around $400/yr for the same coverage.

I just went through this. It came down to skisafe vs boayers insurance agency. Skisafe came back with which lower quote, but then when i compared coverage and deductibles. BIA was a much better deal.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Did you check with boaters insurance agency to get the extra two years of Powertrain warranty? It's about 100 more a year for us but worth it imo. Once that is over will probably switch to skisafe based on reviews on here.

Indmar no longer offered the 5yr extended warranty if you went with boaters Ins when I bought my 2015. I had BoatUS fir years and had one claim for prop, shaft, and strut, back in 2004. They paid it without hassle. The past two years I've had SkiSafe. Their customer service so far is top notch. No claims though. By far the lowest price too. The only catch with Skisafe is you have to pick 4 months out of the year as layup period. Meaning no coverage on the water during these 4 months. I picked Nov-Feb here on West Coast. You are still covered in land and if you tow to and from storage to house or servicing dealer. Just not on water. But they do offer, free of charge, a few exceptions every year. If you give 24hrs notice via e-mail, they will cover you for specific days during your layup. I use that a few times each year for a weekend here and there and they've always emailed binder for coverage for those days requested without question or extra charge. You can opt out of the layup and have 12month water coverage for extra charge but it's worth the savings to have the 4mo layup. And since they make exceptions anyways, why not.

Edited by bunji169

I'm going to use BIA also. Disappearing deductible and full replacement value, also $10,000 in contents if its a total loss. Well worth it for me.

ahopkins22LSV

Also BIA offers full replacement up to 125% of your value of total replacement needed within first 5 years.

Ah this is the other reason we went with them, knew there was one other point but couldn't remember. Again for only 100 more a year it's worth it imo.

• Like 2

I've been with SkiSafe(Progressive) since back in the early 90's. First with my Mastercraft in 1993 and presently with my Malibu since 98. I've had 3 or 4 claims from hitting stuff and always been pleased with them.

Ah this is the other reason we went with them, knew there was one other point but couldn't remember. Again for only 100 more a year it's worth it imo.

Ski safe is is Stated value, so there is no grey area on how much your replacement value is. You state the value for the boat and trailer and pay accordingly.

ahopkins22LSV

Ski safe is is Stated value, so there is no grey area on how much your replacement value is. You state the value for the boat and trailer and pay accordingly.

As is BIA. You state the starting value and then they insure up to 125% of that.

For me the final decision came down to deductibles, ski safe has different deductible if damage caused by a named storm. Deductible jumps to $10,000 with ski safe, stays down at my standard with BIA. Also BIA is a disappearing deductible ski safe was not. When i changed ski safe to disappearing deductible rate increased dramatically.

End of the day you can get ski safe insurance cheaper than BIA, if you are looking for required coverage, but for me BIA provided better insurance protection value. I have never had a claim, but in the event i need insurance i want to know i am protected.