Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skiing

Mackie 12

Crew,

I tried to switch to double boot set-up and found it to be too difficult and just felt wrong as my heel could not move (I know it's not supposed to) and ended up switching back to a toe plate. Is there a boot out there that may give a little leniency or something to help the transition?

I use the Radar vector bindings, very comfortable, and stable. They don't feel as restrictive as my all rubber double bindings did.

• Like 2

I use the Radar vector bindings, very comfortable, and stable. They don't feel as restrictive as my all rubber double bindings did.

also use the double vector bindings, no foot cramps like my old rubber ones but still can move my rear heel a bit if needed..

@Rivermonsters: Yes I have seen that Vid, wish I could compare my form to Mapple................

@cjtpilot: I am running these boots now, front one I like but the back didn't seem to work

What about the Reflex "R" binding, anyone running this setup?

Find a small block of ethafoam and cut a wedge that will fit into your back boot. Mine is less than 1" tall at the back, tapering to zero about mid foot.

What I didn't like about the full rear boot was the way it felt like it held my knee in against the front knee, but the wedge somehow allows a little more freedom to move.

Mackie 12, before dropping more money on the Reflex try what inlandlaker said. You can loosen your rear vector boot laces to allow for a lot of heal lift.

Another thought, it may not be the ability to lift your heel but the forward resistance the boot provides versus a toe plate. You now have a lot of material in front of your shin that is pushing on you leg and this could be perceived as the inability to lift your heel.

What don't you like about the double boot set up in general? "felt wrong" is a hard issue to diagnose, can you be more specific or are my comments narrowing in on what you are feeling.

ahopkins22LSV

Good advise from IL and Wayne. One other quick point, switching boot setups takes me at least 5 sets to get somewhat comfortable on it and then probably another 5-10 to really understand and be 100% comfortable with how it is going to feel and react to my movements. I suggest open water sets prior to getting in the course with a new boot setup.

• Like 2

Great advice from everyone.

@Wayne: I guess it is the feeling of being locked in and the lack of flexibility that had me rattled. I will admit I only tried for about 5 sets and gave up, didn't want to waste anymore good water/time on it.

@inlandlaker: Thats a good suggestion, as i did tighten the boot all the way up, loose would give me the flexibility I am looking for.

My main reason for switching is I have had my rear foot come out twice now and I can see how this can cause some injuries as I get better/faster at skiing.

I don't have a modern ski binding set yet but in my hockey skates, wakeboard boots, and snowboard boots I have made all my lacing systems dual-zone. Lower zone up the flat part of my foot gets tightened all the way to lock my foot in. Upper zone stays looser for more flexibility and blood flow. Might be a viable option, especially in the rear binding.

But I grew up with softer boots and strong ankles to the point where I didn't even tie my hockey skates during warm ups at games.

Edited by jk13

Mapple may not be the best example ! Not because of his ability but just the opposite. He could ski better then most using a telephone poll. :lol:

What are you having issues with? If its just foot movement as said it could take some time to feel good with a new setup. But don't be afraid of playing around with your setup. Canting the rear binding spacing between front and rear.

Andy use to cut the bottom of his bindings out so his foot could sit on the ski. He loved to feel the ski.

Wileys have IMHO the best Hiwrap rubber bindings on the market. I have moved to medium from large. I fall at the brake point for medium or large and after skiing both I like tighter. Surprising to me was the smaller bindings don't make my feet numb after many sets. sometimes the large did????

A good toe plate can be a grate help to someone who just does not like or cannot transition to double boot set ups. Radar made a nice one but its been some time since I have looked at what is out for toe plates.

Not to Hijack this but have any of you notice the sounds from the different placements of the cameras on some of the slalom movies. Wind, water, so different.

Mackie 12 forgot to mention that you may have to also adjust binding placement (front to back) when switching between a toe plate versus a double boot. I forget which way you should move them but I would start off with the front boot in the manufactures stock setting.

Mackie,

You've been given some good advice. All of which equally as viable as the other. I would suggest no messing around with binding placement at this point. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for your weight and ski size with respect to binding placement and simply work with your rear configuration from there. Regardless if it's RTP, hard shell boot, or high wrap, maintain some consistency with binding placement first.

Another thing, as ahopkins pointed out, you'll need several or more sets with each configuration to determine what works best. The worst you could do is run a set and make a decision on only that one set. While one set may give you a good feel, it's not nearly enough to make a decision upon unless you're a top class skier.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

:cheers: