Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help - getting up on surf board

bamabonners

I just can't seem to get my wife and sun up on the surf board. I have bought smaller board (hyperlite broadcast 4.8), but didn't help. Watched so many videos on how to get up, but no help. Maybe its my driving.... I put it in gear and when the board stands up I give it a steady pull. They just can't seem to keep the board under them or they go over the top. My son had slalom, wake skate, and wakeboard... Wife is a newbie to water sports so I can understand her having issues.

I just can't seem to get my wife and sun up on the surf board. I have bought smaller board (hyperlite broadcast 4.8), but didn't help. Watched so many videos on how to get up, but no help. Maybe its my driving.... I put it in gear and when the board stands up I give it a steady pull. They just can't seem to keep the board under them or they go over the top. My son had slalom, wake skate, and wakeboard... Wife is a newbie to water sports so I can understand her having issues.

make sure they have a wide stance. here are my pointers for 1st timers

get comfortable floating on your back with your heels resting on the board with the handle in your hands.

move into a semi crouched position with your arms extended and the inside of your elbows up against the outside of your knees.(too much crouch and they will loose the leverage to extend their legs.

as the boat accelerates slowly drive your heels into the board (if they are being pulled forward they need to increase the force of their legs against the board. falling back off the board and chances are they have pulled the rope too close to the chest)

as the driver i like to idle and barely accelerate to get the board to suck up to their feet, and slightly turn the boat in the direction of the side they are surfing on.

hope this helps

• Like 1

You can also try a longer rope, maybe the less severe angle will give them the extra umph they need. This worked for one newbie I was trying to get going. Once he got up once, he was able to get there with the normal rope.

I always try to convince people to climb up onto the board as I'm pulling them up. The concept to getting up on a wakeboard is similar but because a wakesurfer is so buoyant, extra care has to be taken to get your weight above the board. You can't really just dig your heels when the board flips up, you have to put forth a little more effort to get your body up above the board or you'll just be dragging behind the boat with the board at a shallow angle and gallons of water up your nose. Putting the rope on the tower helps a lot too.

Although there are a variety of things that concern me about safety in the methods (standing on the platform, holding the rope to help the rider up). Marco at surfthirty has taught over 600 people to wakesurf, many of which are not athletic and many have never been behind a boat before. The video on this website can give your driver good tips starting out:

http://www.surfthirty.com/the-surf-thirty-challenge.html

Video is in bottom right corner.

There are a few more videos of newbs here on their first day:

http://www.surfthirty.com/first-time-surfers---surfing-on-the-1st-day.html

Couple things I notice:

1) boat is going really really slow until surfer stands. While its the goofy side of the older enzo (never gets clean), you can see how slow he is going.

2) Rider should be able to flip and get in a good position quickly with almost no speed and just prop wash pushing against the board.

3) If you go slow, the wave will not form as big and the surfer has time to get to the outside (I make this mistake all the time with new surfers).

Marco taught me to ride switch and backside when I had only wakesurfed a handful of times behind a boat (on my good side).

I also struggle with new surfers but his videos helped me a little bit.

My kids were all having issues getting up (12 yr olds) and they started flipping the board up before we started. I put boat in gear, give the slightest bit of tension, they flip board up in a squatting position when we go. Works every time.

My wife had the same problem. When I start driving I actually turn into her (left turn on reg footed side) and it helps every time.

+1 for this technique. I've hear of tying the rope to the side of the tower to further this effect.

I always explain to riders that if they pull the rope to left hip it will help turn the board towards the boat and get them out of the water plowing stance.

Aside from that I creep the throttle with new riders so they don't flip over the front of the board. Most of the time you see people fight the tension then give up as their arms get extended.

Steady hold, leg press/extension, move handle to left hip.

I always explain to riders that if they pull the rope to left hip it will help turn the board towards the boat and get them out of the water plowing stance.

Aside from that I creep the throttle with new riders so they don't flip over the front of the board. Most of the time you see people fight the tension then give up as their arms get extended.

Steady hold, leg press/extension, move handle to left hip.

goofies ride switch on saxton's boat!

i just taught two new people to surf this last weekend, neither could get up on a wakeboard, I had to concentrate on what I was doing in order to explain the best to them, first is have them lay in the water on their back heels resting on the board, tell them to relax, next is put the boat in gear to tighten up rope, take outta gear, stand on swim platform and pull by hand the rope so they get the feel of the pull and you can easily correct technique, tell them when boat goes in gear (ie you pulling at first) to keep arm extended, push down on heels to flip board up at same time bringing knees as close to chest as possible, with that technique and you pulling on the rope by hand you will be able to tell if their technique is right, if so move forward to pulling with boat, again put in gear to tighten up rope, remind them about the arms extended in between your legs, drop heels and bring knees to chest, in this postion they are ready to stand, pressure from water will hold board against feet, drag them for a few feet like that so again they get comfortable, when they come out of the water remind them the rope has to go to the leading hip, go one handed as soon as possible to have board aiming to back of boat( find this really helps) next is tell them to punch it chewy(thats what my kids say), and as you go turn sharp to the side they are surfing on so they stay far away from the giant wave forming, after they up explain that all movements are very miniscule or they will be all over the map. good Luck

The lay flat on your back with heels on the board tech is my favorite to teach begginners. Once the boat goes in gear, it pops the board right on their feet and they just yell go. I got 3 athletic dudes up first try like this. For my fiance` who has never done water sports, we tried like 5 times, she couldn't turn the board sideways. So i threw her on a wakeboard and she popped right up on that. Back to the surfer and she nailed it.

The lay flat on your back with heels on the board tech is my favorite to teach begginners. Once the boat goes in gear, it pops the board right on their feet and they just yell go. I got 3 athletic dudes up first try like this. For my fiance` who has never done water sports, we tried like 5 times, she couldn't turn the board sideways. So i threw her on a wakeboard and she popped right up on that. Back to the surfer and she nailed it.

I've noticed real spazzy people will point their toes (bring toes to board instead of board to toes) which ends up with them being waterboarded behind the boat. I try to remind people to keep their toes pointed to the sky.

• Like 1

Thanks so much folks. I will try my wife on a wake board first. As for my son, I'll try turning into him to help get him up on the board. It just seems to keep shooting out from under him.