Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

missiongear surfgates

duckhunter1

duckhunter1,

We used my boat as the prototype for the Malibu LSV model, and is the boat in the photo's on the website/instagram/facebook posts. The guy who designed these is pretty handy in 3d modeling software! We originally cut the first 2 prototypes on a small 2d CNC in his garage. They are all cut now by a large production CNC mill.

In order to surf all I do is attach the appropriate panel, load up all my stock ballast, put the power wedge at the largest wake setting, and go. It is a nice wave. I have some plug and play ballast from Wakemakers, but I have not installed it yet. I can only imagine that it will improve the wave even more.

I can answer any questions you might have, I probably have some video on my phone of one of our kids surfing behind my boat. There is some before and after videos on the instagram site.

I do want to point out the following disclaimer:

*** Disclaimer, my only affiliation to this company is that the designer and I are good friends, we both love to tinker, and he helped me design one for my 2008 LSV which was the prototype for his production model. I say we in my post because I have been helping him build them and get the word out. If my post violates the "Terms of Use" on the forums please let me know. I am not compensated in any way by this company (well, maybe a beer or 3 now and then).

Very interested in these as well. Will they fit a 2006 247LSV? They look like a very solid design.

idsII,

Is your swim platform and hull the same (except for the length) as the 08 LSV?

If you are interested I would snap a few side profile photo's of your swim platform and hull. E-mail them to [email protected] and he should get back to you pretty quick.

BTO, can you give a quick description of how it attaches to the platform? I see tension knobs. In all other iterations of SG, there is a connecting strap to the eye hook. Given the force of the water, how often will this gate slip off?

BTO, can you give a quick description of how it attaches to the platform? I see tension knobs. In all other iterations of SG, there is a connecting strap to the eye hook. Given the force of the water, how often will this gate slip off?

There is a hinge and 2 stainless threaded bolts. You loosen the knobs, slide the Surfside panel on, tighten the knobs. The platform has a step-down underneath which is incorporated into the clamping design.

I have used my countless times and it has not come anywhere close to loosening up or slipping off. As long as you spin the knobs down, it holds. In the event you are putting it on and you drop it in the water, no worries because it floats.

Try this link to view the animation of how it clamps: https://instagram.com/missionboatgear

https://instagram.com/p/45h1LhlZ-k/

Edited by btothemalm

I think the amount of compression force is pretty low. I personally have not witnessed any issues with my swim step since using it. They are pretty tough when you think about how much weight you put on the swim step with 2 adults on it or a bunch of kids climbing and jumping off of it.

I have always wondered and it would be interesting to see someone hook up a force gauge to measure the sideways compression on the swim step relevant to the water passing by the panel.

The early models of the Malibu Surfgate are just piano hinges screwed into the hull with an electronic actuator.

Edited by btothemalm

idsII,

Is your swim platform and hull the same (except for the length) as the 08 LSV?

If you are interested I would snap a few side profile photo's of your swim platform and hull. E-mail them to [email protected] and he should get back to you pretty quick.

Emails fired off. Thanks!

Emails fired off. Thanks!

I am pretty sure the one that fits my boat will fit yours.

2006 247LSV

Hull - V25 Wake

Beam - 102

2008 23LSV

Hull - V25 Wake

Beam - 102

I would assume your swim step is the same as well.

I am pretty sure the one that fits my boat will fit yours.

2006 247LSV

Hull - V25 Wake

Beam - 102

2008 23LSV

Hull - V25 Wake

Beam - 102

I would assume your swim step is the same as well.

Couple more questions:

What protection is put on the contact piece between the hull and the gate? Will it scratch up the hull? My boat colors are identical to your LSV.

I noticed in the short demo video the guy is pulling a string or wire. Where does this connect?

The website looks great and it is compelling, but a few more FAQ's would be beneficial!

I have a 2010 23LSV with the diamond hull......I know when it comes to the shape of the hull compared to the wake there isn't a HUGE difference, is it the same setup as the wake hull? I have been considering getting this to avoid filling all the extra fat sacs. It would be nice to just fill the factory with the plug n plays maybe and use the wedge.

I have a 2010 23LSV with the diamond hull......I know when it comes to the shape of the hull compared to the wake there isn't a HUGE difference, is it the same setup as the wake hull? I have been considering getting this to avoid filling all the extra fat sacs. It would be nice to just fill the factory with the plug n plays maybe and use the wedge.

The current Malibu Surfside Panel model available will fit 2008-2012 23LSV. I would inquire with [email protected] with a picture of your swim platform just to be sure though. The diamond hull won't make a difference.

The current Malibu Surfside Panel model available will fit 2008-2012 23LSV. I would inquire with [email protected] with a picture of your swim platform just to be sure though. The diamond hull won't make a difference.

Thanks very much. Greatly appreciated.

As an FYI -

I emailed them to get a timeline for our boat (04 LSV) and they said that shape will be ready for order in 3/4 weeks.

Ordered one for 247 yesterday they said 2 weeks to ship. I have both sides of the Wicked Wake but the paddles came in wrong shape. WWS sent me 2 new paddles that were wider but same contour....cut them down to fit but thought I would try the Mission guys on one side.

Just curious if anybody else is reaching out to these guys. I have emailed a few time over the last couple of days inquiring about a 2012 Malibu MXZ but haven't heard back.

• 4 weeks later...

The mission solution looks pretty turn key for my older 07 247LSV... Can't wait to hear how it works on similar boats. As a side note , I was in a water sport store yesterday and they showed a demo of a Velcro attached "gate" that will be coming out soon. Lots more options as we chase wave improvements!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

If anyone is interested, I just posted a classified ad. Sold my boat, selling the goofy side panel for my 09 VLX (according to mission site, fits 2009-2014 VLX)....