Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mastercraft and Mercruiser

footndale

Looks like you might be able to get a Mercury Mercruiser in a Mastercraft. I have a friend that test drives for Mercury. His selfie today was with a Mastercraft. It's a new 6.2L under the hood.

Looks like you might be able to get a Mercury Mercruiser in a Mastercraft. I have a friend that test drives for Mercury. His selfie today was with a Mastercraft. It's a new 6.2L under the hood.

Tell me more....what do you think?

ahopkins22LSV

This is interesting. I spoke with an employee at Ilmor about 6 months ago and he said the MC and Ilmor have a contract through the next 5 years. Not to say they are doing some testing now in prep for then or maybe two different options?

This is interesting. I spoke with an employee at Ilmor about 6 months ago and he said the MC and Ilmor have a contract through the next 5 years. Not to say they are doing some testing now in prep for then or maybe two different options?

Or maybe Mercury is just doing some engine testing and the MC is just their test pig.

What kind of boat was it - DD or v-drive?

Edited by oldjeep

Or maybe Mercury is just doing some engine testing and the MC is just their test pig.

What kind of boat was it - DD or v-drive?

Looks like V-drive.

Suppose it could just be a test pig, but didn't sound like. Time will tell.

Rought job testing engines, my friend drives pretty much anything that Mercury can put on or in a boat.

• Like 1

I heard Mastercraft was going I/O. Better tubing experience.... j/k

What would Mercruiser be able to offer that Ilmor cannot? They both use the same base engine from GM, right? I don't think they do anything to the engine itself, just a bit of tuning and maybe different FI systems. Mercruiser probably buys more as their product is put in a wider range of boats. Maybe better pricing?

Volvo Penta however is moving forward with their own line of engines, a new V8 is supposedly on the horizon to compliment their current V6 which is pretty decent.

I heard Mastercraft was going I/O. Better tubing experience.... j/k

What would Mercruiser be able to offer that Ilmor cannot? They both use the same base engine from GM, right? I don't think they do anything to the engine itself, just a bit of tuning and maybe different FI systems. Mercruiser probably buys more as their product is put in a wider range of boats. Maybe better pricing?

Volvo Penta however is moving forward with their own line of engines, a new V8 is supposedly on the horizon to compliment their current V6 which is pretty decent.

My guess would be service availability with Merc dealers being everywhere. That way, for warranty work, an owner could go to just about any boat dealer that sells Mercury or Mercruiser which is just about all of them rather than have to go to a Mastercraft dealer.

That would be weird. Mercruiser pulled out of the inboard industry a couple of years ago. That's why Centurion, Supreme, and Sanger all switched.

My guess would be service availability with Merc dealers being everywhere. That way, for warranty work, an owner could go to just about any boat dealer that sells Mercury or Mercruiser which is just about all of them rather than have to go to a Mastercraft dealer.

Check out powerboat nation. Mercury, just stared casting their own blocks like a year ago. I was not aware of a 6.2 yet(seems coincidental on size RAPTOR). They will no longer use sourced blocks. no info on any Vdrive application. This was for I/O I assumed but......

Are they casting the same old small block from GM they've used for a long time because GM won't cast them anymore? Or is it a new engine entirely?