Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Axis T22 Service Required

Hey Guys,

I have about 14.5 Hours on the Axis now. This past weekend it came off the trailer fine and we got to our spot on the water. I wakesurfed for a little while then was gonna wakeboard. Once I got set up for wakeboarding my wife took off & I got up but then it immediately started beeping and flashing "service required" and a red square in the tach that said MIL & the boat goes into limp mode. Turned the boat off and start up its fine for a while but comes back on. Seems only happens when boat is warm. I have contacted dealer and they are checking into it just wondered if anyone on here has experienced that. It's the PCM 350 Engine.

Thanks Guys,

Brandon

Pretty sure you just need to get the update from the dealership on the pcm computer. It is just an update to change the parameters of the exhaust manifold temperature sensors (pretty sure). Just get it to the dealer..

Same thing happened to me.

Edited by Anderson24
  • Like 3

Awesome.. I was hoping it wasn't anything too serious. Shoot it only has 14 hrs lol. The dealer said they contacted Malibu and PCM today and should have some sort of answer tomorrow. Do you guys no if its bad to run it like that?

I was told that it occurs at idle when there isn't a lot of water running through the exhaust. They said you could try to raise the rpm's to get more water through and the temp down. Now, this is assuming it is the same issue as mine. I wouldn't do anything based upon the fact the it COULD be something different. Don't want you to screw something up. Just my $.02.

Ok Thanks man. Hopefully the dealership will let me know something tomorrow Im ready to get back out this weekend. Im trying to learn wake to wake!!

Ask the dealer to check for ECM flash. It has been an issue with 15' boats. Once we had the new the program we have been solid for 60+ hours.

I'm in the middle of my vacation and it's doing the exact same thing as described above. I have 2015 T22 w/ 25 hours and got the fault 5x yesterday. Don't really want to spoil vacation running it in to the dealer. Every time it goes to the fault it reverts back again as if nothing even happened. More of an annoyance for me. I have a call into Malibu to see what they say.

I'm in the middle of my vacation and it's doing the exact same thing as described above. I have 2015 T22 w/ 25 hours and got the fault 5x yesterday. Don't really want to spoil vacation running it in to the dealer. Every time it goes to the fault it reverts back again as if nothing even happened. More of an annoyance for me. I have a call into Malibu to see what they say.

Malibu is going to say take it to your dealer and get the ECU updated. If your dealer is local they should be able to make the update in a day. If not, contact PCM, you may be able to overnight the ECU to PCM and have them update it. PCM is very responsive.

Spoke to the dealer today and they need to do a quick adjustment. It seems that it happens only when I shut the motor off after idling. Apparently the water heats up after the motor is off and then when re starts sends the heated up water past the sensor tricking the motor it's overheating. When in reality the water is just passing through quickly before it gets to the cooler fresh water. Sounds like I'll live with it for vacation and then get it fixed up.

• 1 month later...

I have a T22 with 25 hours on it and have experienced the same issues as described in the previous post. Very frustrating, on the lake today and boat completely shut down. After trying to start the boat a few times with no success, I waited about an hour and it finally started. However it only ran for about 3-5 minutes before shutting down again. Good news was the sherif patrol was going by and pulled us back to the launch.

I texted the local dealer and they offered to swap the boat out on Labor day. Great option, but huge inconvenience. I am hoping this is a very simple fix!

I've heard many stories like this from 2015 owners.. WTF? Malibu/Axis needs to slow down and make sure they products they are peddling its customers actually will work. Brand new boat being towed in by the sheriff? That just isn't right..For something that wasn't an emergency like hitting your prop, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2015 A22 and am having the same issues. Dealer was clueless but said there was an exhaust manifold overheating error code when doing the diagnostics. They said they could not find anything and Axis didn't have a clue either. It has happened several times in the past 2 months and each time, all we do is hit the left switch on the tach and it must reset the error and it allows us to continue. Our temp was constantly @ 162 then after sitting in neutral for a minute, I would start up and it would trip and go into limp mode and would all of a sudden register 180 degrees. I hit the left black button and would continue on my way. With the previous posts, I think the issue is now well known and hopefully my dealer can get this fixed next time I take it in.

Thanks for the posts!

• 2 years later...
On 9/6/2015 at 9:13 PM, Bikeczar said:

I have a T22 with 25 hours on it and have experienced the same issues as described in the previous post. Very frustrating, on the lake today and boat completely shut down. After trying to start the boat a few times with no success, I waited about an hour and it finally started. However it only ran for about 3-5 minutes before shutting down again. Good news was the sherif patrol was going by and pulled us back to the launch.

I texted the local dealer and they offered to swap the boat out on Labor day. Great option, but huge inconvenience. I am hoping this is a very simple fix!

Did you ever get it figured out? I see this was a while back...

On 9/6/2015 at 9:13 PM, Bikeczar said:

Did you ever get it figured out? I see this was a while back...

My 2014 T22 has 27 hours on it, just had the steering cable replaced by Malibu (thank you!) and an hour after putting back in the lake, engine shut off while in a slow turn. Has never restarted, and had to be towed to the dock. I have pulled 2 codes 65615 / 65618 that refer to the throttle body position sensor, but no other info. Fuel in the throat makes no fire. Dealer closed until Tuesday...

Edited by kfswart

If you have fuel, and if cranks but there is no spark, the easy things you can check are the safety kill switch at the helm and the connections on the back of the key switch.  I have replaced a few faulty ignition coil / modules due to no spark issues on some 14 and 15 axis models with the 350 monsoon PCM and Indmar engines, but I would probably leave that up to you repair shop to diagnose, unless you feel up to it.

1 hour ago, csleaver said:

If you have fuel, and if cranks but there is no spark, the easy things you can check are the safety kill switch at the helm and the connections on the back of the key switch.  I have replaced a few faulty ignition coil / modules due to no spark issues on some 14 and 15 axis models with the 350 monsoon PCM and Indmar engines, but I would probably leave that up to you repair shop to diagnose, unless you feel up to it.

Thanks for the reply! Today I replaced the crappy looking (corroded) distributor cap, fuel in the intake, disconnected and reconnected as many connections as I could reach, flicked the safety switch 1/2 dozen times, etc. No results. I was under the dash looking at where they had just replaced the steering cable, and noticed the back of the ignition switch has about 6-8 wires plugged into it, but I did not think to fool with that.

Something is stopping the ignition from happening. Right before the engine died, I was doing several adjustments to the speed control - maybe they are connected? 

Now when I turn the key, it immediately says something like "service required" while cranking, but never even so much as burps life.  :( 

The fault codes you listed can be caused by the electric throttle blade on the throttle body being stuck, or not responding properly, but can also be caused by low battery voltage.  Low battery voltage can also prevent the fuel injectors or ignition system from working, even if the motor cranks.  It sounds crazy, but I have seen it happen, and it confused the hell out of me.  I had a new 24MXZ that cranked, but would not start because the battery voltage dropped too low for the ignition to work while cranking.  I put a new battery in and it started right up.  Check your battery connections and charge condition.  Make sure the battery reads 12.5 volts or higher with a DVM or battery tester, and doesn't drop below 10 volts when cranking.

45 minutes ago, csleaver said:

The fault codes you listed can be caused by the electric throttle blade on the throttle body being stuck, or not responding properly, but can also be caused by low battery voltage.  Low battery voltage can also prevent the fuel injectors or ignition system from working, even if the motor cranks.  It sounds crazy, but I have seen it happen, and it confused the hell out of me.  I had a new 24MXZ that cranked, but would not start because the battery voltage dropped too low for the ignition to work while cranking.  I put a new battery in and it started right up.  Check your battery connections and charge condition.  Make sure the battery reads 12.5 volts or higher with a DVM or battery tester, and doesn't drop below 10 volts when cranking.

Too funny - I have 3 BMW's, and nearly every issue I have ever encountered revolved around putting the car on a charger. Those cars are voltage hogs, and if it is not perfect, they shut systems down. I will take your advise and check the battery levels / replace them in the AM. Mindful, this boat shut itself off center lake and has never restarted.  Thanks!

Sorry, just a shot in the dark.  If there was a problem with the charging system, the batteries can only run the motor for so long before the ignition or ECM shut off.  Hopefully it will be an easy fix, whatever it turns out to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out the Indmar HVS Ignition Coil crapped out, and while producing a spark, it was not enough spark to ignite. They replaced the coil and it fired right up. I'll find out where this part goes, and keep a spare on the boat. Not confident in the codes, or maybe they were old codes that were never erased. 

I'll have to call out of work tomorrow, and go pick it up, then spend a day playing hookey on the lake making sure this issue is resolved  :) 

Edited by kfswart
  • 1 year later...

Is the MIL light still having to be reflashed or is it the knock sensor? My 2015 T22 is doing this... PCM motor... runs excellent just goes off in low low idle. Very annoying. 

• 8 months later...

Campbell and Keith, did you get the problem solved? Does just an ECM flash work. Anyone else had the same problem as them? I have a 2015 T23 doing the same thing and hoping they have it figured out by now.