Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

An effort to battle heat soak induced vapor lock...

ibelonginprison

Question: Do you have a heater system on your boat? Is the first 1-2 feet of fuel line coming from the tank touching and/or resting on top of your heater lines? I believe this entire issue is because of that. Please let me know. 

I had vapor lock due to heat and the suction from the pump like just mentioned. No heater. In my case, when the no start condition (vapor lock) happened, i could hold my hand on the bottom inlet area of the pump and it would be slightly warm. Have a buddy start the engine, and as the engine started to sputter, the pump would then become very hot, squeal and finally the engine would die. After cold water ragging it, i would do the same thing and as the engine now ran perfect, the pump would run colder than my hand. The second low pressure pump helps prime the main two stage pump so the low pressure point will not happen. 

• 1 year later...

FWIW - as an update...

Since my "insulation fix" back in 2015 - I've never even had the first hint of vapor lock again. Even with ethanol fuel. 
And that was somewhere in the neighborhood of 350+ hours ago. 

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...
On 8/19/2015 at 8:06 PM, ibelonginprison said:

OK - so here's an update.

I took the fuel pump out of the bracket, wrapped it once in the reflective heat insulation from thermotec that I linked in the first part of the thread. Then put it back in the bracket, and wrapped the exposed parts one more time.

Next I wrapped all the metal/hard fuel lines in the same material.

So far so good. I haven't had exact ideal scenario (95+ degree air temps, 90+ degree water temps) but I've had zero hesitation when starting after letting it heat soak for 30 minutes, 60 minutes, an hour and a half, and two hours.

Will this fix for for everyone? Dunno, doubt it. But if you're only having very occasional heat soak / vapor lock issues - it's certainly worth a shot before you spend $350 on a pre fuel pump, fuel pump kit.

I'll update in another month or so if we get a lot more hot weather coming through and I can test it out some more.

I started having the same problem you described almost exactly! We got towed home once and don't want to make a habit out of it. I just started into the process of getting educated so I still need to locate the fuel pump in case I need to pour some water over it. Being 2 years after the last update I didn't see any pictures of the insulation you wrapped around the fuel pump. Can you send me a couple pictures of what you did? I'd like to avoid ordering the secondary pumps and subsequent installation and cursing (and time off the water).