Sign in to follow this  
jeffmx

Radials or bias ply..

jeffmx

No tire expert here......

I have the Carlisles,which I believe are bias ply, and wanted to get a spare wheel and tire for the new mount.

I was thinking of changing them to the Goodyear Marathons after reading a couple of other posts, which I believe(again) are radials..

I know the radials will ride better, but with a duel axle trailer , does it matter?

Any thoughts would be appreciated before I pull out the wallet....

BillFooter

Carlisle also makes radial tires. My single axle trailer came with Carlisle radials. Both tires developed tread seperations (that means they got crooked and lumpy) and I replaced them with Goodyear Mrathon. The Carlisle are cheaper... but they aren't very good.

Bill

jeffmx

I wonder if mine are radials??? I will have to check that out.

Thanks for the tip on the Goodyear Marathons... :)

Pistol Pete

I have the new Carlisle radials. I like them so far. I got rid of my original Carlisle bias ply after about 15K on them (in four years). Can't complain about that, so I stuck with Carlisle.

I also upped to a load range C, which I would recc. to anyone looking to replace tires.

mschofield

My first boat trailer had bias ply. It always took a few miles for the whump whump of the flat spot to go away as I left to go boating. The radials do not develop the flat spot.

jeffmx
My first boat trailer had bias ply. It always took a few miles for the whump whump of the flat spot to go away as I left to go boating. The radials do not develop the flat spot.

Yea I know what your talking about.. :lol:

87Skier

I have Carlisle bias ply tires on my trailer and they have been good for me so far. I always jack up the trailer for winter storage though.