Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installed my FAE - not overly impressed

Nitrousbird

I installed my FAE and I wish I could say I was super impressed. Now, my boat was previously running STE tips, so it was quieter and less fumes than the stock setup (which also has a muffler).

- It really isn't much quieter inside the boat - maybe slightly. Behind the boat there is a noticeable difference but it wasn't super loud to begin with

- Fumes behind the boat - when moving - are greatly reduced. This motor has never been bad to begin with. I was hoping for a 100% reduction but I can still slightly smell a hint of something - I'd rate it at a 90% reduction. Again, a reduction in something that wasn't awful to begin with and I have a pretty good sense of smell.

- As expected, idle fumes are worse.

- I wasn't impressed with the fit. Bolt holes were not where they should have been (too outward at the holes securing to the floating wedge bracket, too inward for the holes for where the FAE mounts to the provided bracket. The welds for the mounts could be nicer looking and their position could have been a little better too.

- Movement - I have everything as secure as you can get it. I regret using the provided angle for the FAE, as it made the clearance super tight when swinging down the wedge. After an outing, it moved a bit and now I have to push on the FAE hard to clear the wedge. I will get some T-bolt clamps and hopefully fix that.

- Even with very careful measurements that I provided, the platform didn't come close to fitting. I rasied it 1" and will likely move it up another 1/2" to be happy. Luckily, this isn't a complaint at all as I had been wanting to move the platform up and I like it better higher.

- Screwed up my surf wake a bit. It splashes right onto the face of the surf wake. Not sure if there is much I can do about that, but I will try! Doesn't look like ski/wakeboard wakes will be impacted at all.

IMG_7737_zpsq06h7iih.jpg

IMG_7741_zps4r5zrmhy.jpg

IMG_7732_zpsbw0gwdbm.jpg

IMG_7731_zpsttvzzcmt.jpg

IMG_7730_zpsgb93yxtw.jpg

IMG_7729_zpsel0t3dsw.jpg

• Like 2

I installed my FAE and I wish I could say I was super impressed. Now, my boat was previously running STE tips, so it was quieter and less fumes than the stock setup (which also has a muffler).

- It really isn't much quieter inside the boat - maybe slightly. Behind the boat there is a noticeable difference but it wasn't super loud to begin with

- Fumes behind the boat - when moving - are greatly reduced. This motor has never been bad to begin with. I was hoping for a 100% reduction but I can still slightly smell a hint of something - I'd rate it at a 90% reduction. Again, a reduction in something that wasn't awful to begin with and I have a pretty good sense of smell.

- As expected, idle fumes are worse.

- I wasn't impressed with the fit. Bolt holes were not where they should have been (too outward at the holes securing to the floating wedge bracket, too inward for the holes for where the FAE mounts to the provided bracket. The welds for the mounts could be nicer looking and their position could have been a little better too.

- Movement - I have everything as secure as you can get it. I regret using the provided angle for the FAE, as it made the clearance super tight when swinging down the wedge. After an outing, it moved a bit and now I have to push on the FAE hard to clear the wedge. I will get some T-bolt clamps and hopefully fix that.

- Even with very careful measurements that I provided, the platform didn't come close to fitting. I rasied it 1" and will likely move it up another 1/2" to be happy. Luckily, this isn't a complaint at all as I had been wanting to move the platform up and I like it better higher.

- Screwed up my surf wake a bit. It splashes right onto the face of the surf wake. Not sure if there is much I can do about that, but I will try! Doesn't look like ski/wakeboard wakes will be impacted at all.

Did you call Larry to find out what might have went wrong? He is great to work with.

Smell, yes when not moving the smell is not going to be reduced much but under way is when you would notice the biggest difference.

Movement, Did you screw the rubber into the pipe at all locations once finished? If you don't put a self tapping screw in the pipe can rotate.

So you provided a measurement from the top of the wedge to the platform? what was that dimension?

I have had a little splashing from the FAE when surfing and seen some pics of people putting mud flaps on the platform to smooth it out. Not for me.

Wow, not my experience at all. I had turn down tips on my last boat and I thought the fae was much quieter than my previous boat. Both while in the cabin and behind the boat. The tower speakers even project better with less volume.

I did have issues with the first install but I had the first prototype for the power wedge 2. I sent larry a lot of measurements and the second version ended up working.

Your one of the first that I have heard of that was not pleased with the noise and fume reduction.

Is your Z measurement correct?

If the screws are used to secure the lapped joints in the pipe under the hose clamps, the down pipe won't rotate back.

No need for T clamps.

I also found the access to the locking pins of the floating wedge became difficult from the hatch in the swim platform.

I have the fibreglass platform.

Had the heads of the bolts securing the FAE at the top so the swim platform did not have to go up.

Only reason I jacked the swim platform was due to the FAE pipe passing right through the center of the swim platform hatch opening

Jacked up the platform 1/2", reduced the lip at the rear of the hatch where the hinges are for a little more access.

Can just get my hand in around the pipe.

Find it easier to release the pins to drop & stow the wedge from the water now.

Went from the insulated motor box, marine mufflers & STE swapping the STE to the FAE, virtually the same configuration detailed above only a Center mount Vs V drive being the difference.

The drone inside the cabin was reduced noticeably with the sound now just coming from the motor box.

Happy with my install.

Did you call Larry to find out what might have went wrong? He is great to work with.

Not yet, I will if I can't resolve it myself. I spoke to him pre-sale.

Movement, Did you screw the rubber into the pipe at all locations once finished? If you don't put a self tapping screw in the pipe can rotate.

Yes, but that only prevents the center pipe from moving in the hose. Doesn't prevent the hose attached to the outer pipes from rotating.

So you provided a measurement from the top of the wedge to the platform? what was that dimension?

I have had a little splashing from the FAE when surfing and seen some pics of people putting mud flaps on the platform to smooth it out. Not for me.

4.375". I'm not dying to do a mud flap.

Wow, not my experience at all. I had turn down tips on my last boat and I thought the fae was much quieter than my previous boat. Both while in the cabin and behind the boat. The tower speakers even project better with less volume.

Is your Z measurement correct?

Z is a hair over 2". Spec is 1.5 - 2.5". I did adjust it today, playing with the outer clamps, and it clears the wedge without issue now and didn't move. It also reduced the splash slightly and I didn't notice any fumes today, so perhaps having it a bit further back helped. I'm going to move it back another 1-1.5" and see if that helps next time (won't be for 3 weeks due to upcoming vacation in Newfoundland).

As for noise, my buddy that convinced me to get it and was the biggest proponent got to hear it today. His assessment was similar, though he felt the sound difference was slightly more than I found it. Did you have turndowns or the actual STE tips (they are different). The boat just wasn't all that loud previously, though the stereo did sound a bit better behind the boat today, as I didn't get to use it yesterday (I won't pound the tunes when it is just me/wife/kid out as I don't have a "legal" spotter).

I also found the access to the locking pins of the floating wedge became difficult from the hatch in the swim platform.

I have the fibreglass platform.

Had the heads of the bolts securing the FAE at the top so the swim platform did not have to go up.

Only reason I jacked the swim platform was due to the FAE pipe passing right through the center of the swim platform hatch opening

Jacked up the platform 1/2", reduced the lip at the rear of the hatch where the hinges are for a little more access.

Can just get my hand in around the pipe.

Find it easier to release the pins to drop & stow the wedge from the water now.

My platform never had a hatch. Original owner had the tower/wedge installed after the boat was ordered, so no hatch. I'm used to it and honestly the hatch isn't needed if you know where the pins are to let the wedge down. Especially since I swapped to the floater.

I'm hoping another 1/2" in raised height for the platform + moving the FAE outlet back a bit will be all it needs.

Not yet, I will if I can't resolve it myself. I spoke to him pre-sale.

Yes, but that only prevents the center pipe from moving in the hose. Doesn't prevent the hose attached to the outer pipes from rotating.

4.375". I'm not dying to do a mud flap.

Z is a hair over 2". Spec is 1.5 - 2.5". I did adjust it today, playing with the outer clamps, and it clears the wedge without issue now and didn't move. It also reduced the splash slightly and I didn't notice any fumes today, so perhaps having it a bit further back helped. I'm going to move it back another 1-1.5" and see if that helps next time (won't be for 3 weeks due to upcoming vacation in Newfoundland).

As for noise, my buddy that convinced me to get it and was the biggest proponent got to hear it today. His assessment was similar, though he felt the sound difference was slightly more than I found it. Did you have turndowns or the actual STE tips (they are different). The boat just wasn't all that loud previously, though the stereo did sound a bit better behind the boat today, as I didn't get to use it yesterday (I won't pound the tunes when it is just me/wife/kid out as I don't have a "legal" spotter).

My platform never had a hatch. Original owner had the tower/wedge installed after the boat was ordered, so no hatch. I'm used to it and honestly the hatch isn't needed if you know where the pins are to let the wedge down. Especially since I swapped to the floater.

I'm hoping another 1/2" in raised height for the platform + moving the FAE outlet back a bit will be all it needs.

I had the oem factory turn down tips you can order with the boat. Not sure on exactly what they are called. The only spray I notice is at wakeboarding speeds and above and it's so minor I don't even notice it anymore. At surf speeds there is no difference in spray from when I was using rubber flappers on this current boat. I was told by Larry the Z measurement is very important, sounds like you are getting it dialed in a little better. If I recall mine is pretty much dead center right now within the specs.

Did you install the rubber flappers the fae comes with or run it completely wide open?

The "very important" Z measurement is the same for all boats (1.5-2.5"), regardless of the distance from the transom. Early FAEs and those without need to clear some obstacle (wedge, trim plate, etc.) are closer to the transom and those that do have to clear something are obviously farther. Well the farther from the transom, the deeper the exhaust tip when on plane.... and yet Z always stays the same (1.5-2.5").

You may want to consider going "short" on your Z (i.e. 2.5+) to see if that makes a diff with the spray.

Totally agree about the overall jankyness of the kit and production quality. It does seem to be getting better in newer pics, but it's still very much a one off DIY in each case.

Larry was supposed to be using a new CAD machine for better design and fab results, but apparently it looks like the measurements for ease of installation still is requiring some minor tweaking. I will say once installed it seems like a solid unit, have yet to have any problems with movement or anything loosening up.

I have the same issue with clearance to the wedge. I have decided to "trim" the FAE slightly. I only have to lightly push it to get the wedge up and down though...

Wow,you totally have a different outcome. I had turn down tips also but my FAE did make difference in noise. I could talk to people in the boat with it. Zero fumes when moving. Love mine. Hope you can tune it. It is a legit product