Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lesson learned... Tune up

Wish I had read that before I just ordered the one from Bakes...

You'll be fine. 12 years with almost no use is what caused that. If you are putting hours on it you wont see that kind of corrosion. Clearly the plugs are original too.

Not to hijack, but I've replaced plugs, rotor, not the cables though. Seems my boat runs like a dog this year. What else should I start looking into?

Not to hijack, but I've replaced plugs, rotor, not the cables though. Seems my boat runs like a dog this year. What else should I start looking into?

What do your plugs look like? Might tell you if you also need wires or a coil.

Also check/clean spark arrester

Edited by oldjeep

What do your plugs look like? Might tell you if you also need wires or a coil.

Plugs looked fine, I even took two with me to get an opinion & the guys said they were fine, only about 100 hours on the plugs. New dist cap last year even though the other was fine, just assumed that was causing my delayed starting. I've spent more on dumb stuff so maybe I'll just buy new plugs & wires anyway

Did you test each of the plugs for spark? Could be a bad wire

Did not, I did use the volt meter last year to check resistance based on info I got here & they were all fine then. Again, no problem buying new & trying it. Anyone know what plug wires to request from Oreillys?

My distributor cap looked the same (actually worse). I really think Indmar doesn't marinise these engines very well.

I replaced mine with one of these. It has brass terminals so it won't corrode like the GM/Indmar automotive cap.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-120137/overview/year/1993/make/chevrolet/model/c1500

Saved the link.

I've had that same problem in the past and was causing a misfire.

Saved the link.

I've had that same problem in the past and was causing a misfire.

I use accel 8132 looks the same but I am not sure if the link had the rotor too.

I put the accel brand cap and rotor on my sporty. It ran fine for awhile but then it started to have a rough idle after I changed my transmission fluid. i changed plugs but that didn't help. I pulled the cap and found the rotor burnt and the contacts in the cap were in bad shape but only on one side. I put the cap back on, screwed down tight, and found that I could rock it back and forth a bit. I bought a Napa brand cap and rotor and found that it fit tight- problem solved.