Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Xm9s while boarding

hiddenmenace

Been researching HLCD Tower Speakers for a couple months now. Ive never heard them persomally; but ive Seen tonnes of videos of them proforming at a range.. None really show off their power while boarding. My question is; can you hear the sound while boarding all day long..?

I am not sure what u mean by "all day long " but it will depend on what you go with and how they are powered.

I have 1pr of Xm9's getting 300x2. And I can hear them while boarding. Now do they sound as loud @75ft as they do in the cabin.... No.

Find someone local too you and ask for a pull,

If you want to rock out at 80ft with your HLCD's out you may be blowing out passengers in the cabin. You will probably want at least 2 pair. My wife and young'ins have sensitive ears so the 1 pair is good for me... For now

Edited by Stevo

Thanks for the reply.

I live in Australia and HLCD speakers are rare. We only have wetsounds and theyre 1,500 - 2k for a pair.

Exiles imported are cheaper.

I just wanted to know if its a good investment to use while boarding

Edited by hiddenmenace

I am not sure what u mean by "all day long " but it will depend on what you go with and how they are powered.

I have 1pr of Xm9's getting 300x2. And I can hear them while boarding. Now do they sound as loud @75ft as they do in the cabin.... No.

Find someone local too you and ask for a pull,

If you want to rock out at 80ft with your HLCD's out you may be blowing out passengers in the cabin. You will probably want at least 2 pair. My wife and young'ins have sensitive ears so the 1 pair is good for me... For now

Another option is to put a fresh air exhaust on, that will be like adding another pair of speakers. The FAE really does block out a lot engine noise while surfing and boarding. Or maybe you already have a fae?

I have turn down tips. Appart from the intake whistle. The motor is reasonably quiet.

Monsoon340

Thanks for the reply.

I live in Australia and HLCD speakers are rare. We only have wetsounds and theyre 1,500 - 2k for a pair.

Exiles imported are cheaper.

I just wanted to know if its a good investment to use while boarding

It would stand to reason that a much larger speaker with much more power handling capability, would cost more. The exile HLCD is an 8" where as the Wet Sounds Rev-10 is a 10" HLCD. Thats about 50% more speaker surface ares which equals more output and mid-bass depth. A single pair of 10" Rev-10 would get the job done for you, over two pair of smaller 8". It would take two pair of 8" HLCD to exceed the surface area, but still not have the mid-bass depth.

The videos aren't a good representation because they auto compress, and they are not taken from a rider's perspective with all the noise competition.

But you can hear an HLCD at wake range as a rider. The difference is going to be how intelligible the music is at 70 feet in the face of engine exhaust. And this is what an HLCD tower speaker is intended to do.

So can one pair of well-powered 8-inch HLCDs get it done? More speaker surface area and the more power are going to keep the tower system running more conservatively and cleaner. One pair is good but minimum. Two pair with twice the amplifier power will give the appearance of twice the acoustic output.

The videos aren't a good representation because they auto compress, and they are not taken from a rider's perspective with all the noise competition.

But you can hear an HLCD at wake range as a rider. The difference is going to be how intelligible the music is at 70 feet in the face of engine exhaust. And this is what an HLCD tower speaker is intended to do.

So can one pair of well-powered 8-inch HLCDs get it done? More speaker surface area and the more power are going to keep the tower system running more conservatively and cleaner. One pair is good but minimum. Two pair with twice the amplifier power will give the appearance of twice the acoustic output.

Nail on the head. thanks very much

I have turn down tips. Appart from the intake whistle. The motor is reasonably quiet.

Monsoon340

My last boat had turn down tips, the fae is even better, actually much better. The turn down tips are out of the water when surfing and boarding, deflecting sound upward off the water. The fae pushes all the sound under the water when riding. Plus you get the added benefit of the fumes being pushed out as well.

Actually David is mistaken - that video someone posted was a fixed microphone setting and recorded by a Australian wakeboard group in NSW. It's a very good representation to how that boat sounds up close and at range. Listen carefully at how loud the birds are that are chirping up close to the Mic and how far the music fades off into the distance.

Keep in mind tho - that guy has 4 XM9's and 1000W of Exile power behind them In addition to a Big12 woofer with 2K of power on it. That stereo is a big one.

-Brian

Not even remotely close to the real thing. It's on a quiet road.

I wish someone would make an audio recording from the rider perspective in action, without compression, with full ballast, with engine exhaust, with a little chop in the water, with the ambient noise of other boats, a bit of a wind, and with the rider moving at 18 mph or faster.

It helps no one to set false expectations.

By all means- post up that exact video your talking about. Talking about other peoples videos is just arm chair quarterbacking. Post your own up and lets discuss it. I've been on 3 different water ways in the last 4 days in 2 different states. My ears are still ringing from insanely loud audio systems. Funniest one was surfing this last THurs on a big ole boat full of ws gear. People all wanted to video/ picture me the exile guy on that ride. I don't mind- because Audio is part of this lifestyle. Of course there's days with crazy wind, crazy people, growling engines and a host of other things happening. There's times without any audio involved what so ever. And times when the wave isn't right or whatever. We shouldn't be so quick to judge. This isn't a dig on you.. I just encourage you to live what you preach. People here do. And thats what makes TMC a great forum. I'd love to see you post up you in that video. You won't see a negative thing from me if you do. Honest!

I've made multiple videos for the audio company I once worked for. And they're posted on YouTube. None of the videos made with a compact recording device are a good portrayal in making your purchasing decision. Doesn't matter what brand of speakers they feature.

I listened to the video above with a good set of headphones. The birdies at the beginning of the video sounded more like a pterodactyl from Jurassic Park towards the end. The birds must have been at least 10 dB louder just before the car drove by. No auto volume? No compression? Let's keep it real and on topic. The OP asked a question and got his answer.

G'day hidden menace. Where in Aus are you located?

I'm in Victoria and would be happy for you to have a listen to mine if you like. I'm running 4 xm9's pushed by a harpoon amp and 4 in boats and a big 12 pushed by a javelin amp and all running from the zld mk2. Love the exile gear!

Props to Brian for going out on different boats with a variety of stereo systems to listen to. This means a lot to me as a consumer to have someone with real life experience behind and in these boats. It will only make there products better, along with what they recommend to there customers for each individual.

Edited by Fman

G'day hidden menace. Where in Aus are you located?

I'm in Victoria and would be happy for you to have a listen to mine if you like. I'm running 4 xm9's pushed by a harpoon amp and 4 in boats and a big 12 pushed by a javelin amp and all running from the zld mk2. Love the exile gear!

thanks for the offer, unfortunately South Australia