Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

98 response won't start

Was it ever running? What have you done to it recently? If you have spark and you have fuel, my guess is the firing order is wrong. Chevy 5.7L distributor spins clockwise and firing order is 1, 8, 4, 3, 6, 5, 7, 2.

Chevy and Ford use different configurations for cylinders in case you're used to working on Fords. The distributors also spins in opposite directions. Chevy has 1, 3, 5, 7 on the passenger side running front to back with 2, 4, 6, 8 running down the drivers side front to back. Ford runs 1, 2, 3, 4 down the drivers side front to back and 5, 6, 7, 8 down the passenger side front to back.

• Like 1

Was running and then started acting like vapor lock so changed fuel filters still would not start then change distribute cap and rotor have checked firing order it is correct lanyard is hotwired. Fuel pressure seems strong. Have spark at plugs.

You probably just lost prime on your pump. Check the firing order again (i.e. put it back), then cycle the key on and off about 20 times to run the pump long enough to let it pull fuel again.

Fuel pressure, or air pressure at the valve? As in fuel spewing out? I once had an issue where I lost prime on my fuel pump. I tried everything, but until I carefully blocked off the return fuel line from the pump to the tank with needle nose vise grips it wouldn't prime. It was just pumping in a circle from the tank and then back through the return line.

Check it with a pressure gauge to make sure you are getting enough fuel to run the engine. The engine died due to lack of fuel, and you still need to fix that.