Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder box

I have a 1991 Malibu Skier and the rudder bushing broke. There is a brass plate that bolts to the bottom with a bushing that goes up thru the hull that the packing nut is threaded onto. The bushing is what the prop shaft slides thru and is what broke off. Can you buy the thru hull bushing assembly separate? Or am I stuck buying the whole rudder assembly??

When you said the prop shaft slides through it, did you mean the rudder shaft? If not, I'm struggling with figuring out what part you need.

Can you weld the bushing back together?

The grinder? No, he can't mean that. It must be the tissues. :biggrin:

The rudder box is pretty simple. A machinist could whip one up pretty easily, or maybe weld his back together.

When you said the prop shaft slides through it, did you mean the rudder shaft? If not, I'm struggling with figuring out what part you need.

Can you weld the bushing back together?

See my boathouse photos for a pic of a cracked one. Mine cracked after we started surfing long ago. I bought a new housing from Marine Hardware and had it machined to match my old one. It was just slightly different.

Yes I meant rudder not prop. Already welded it twice once in 2000 and again this year. Had a pro weld it this time and it didn't last at all. Was hoping to replace.

Yes I meant rudder not prop. Already welded it twice once in 2000 and again this year. Had a pro weld it this time and it didn't last at all. Was hoping to replace.

Gotcha. It's pretty much just a plate and cylinder, so making one should be fairly easy if you can't locate one.