Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anybody else ever feel like this?

DaDeuce

I got too much going on. I have had trailers, motorcycles, atv's, antique cars, boat....some I've had all at the same time. HOA poses restrictions on what you could park in your driveway. I also come from Miami....so the amount corruption I have seen with HOA's is plenty. I say you could find a nice established neighborhood that you have knowledge about and it be a win win situation.

My problem is I can't be told what to do with my property. My blood would absolutely boil if I got a letter in the mail stating that my lawn was too long. I don't like the idea of the extra anxiety created when all I can think of is, "Oh god, I have to go home and get the lawn mowed today or else I will get that nasty letter." I don't like nosy neighbors either.

Seriously I would be sleepless for days. You can't tell me what to do with the property that I worked so hard for.

Thats my take on HOAs

What I really need is a one acre plot outside of town. I don't even like seeing another house next door. We are private people.

I mow my lawn twice a week in the summer...and want all my nieghbors to do the same :)

I mow my lawn twice a week in the summer...and want all my nieghbors to do the same :)

I would say if your neighbors lawn bothers you....I'm sure other neighborly things bother you as well. I would say you fit well within an HOA. All my neighbors cut their grass when they can. Some do it more often than others....but no biggie.

• Like 1

We could never be neighbors. :lol:

I never mow my lawn in the summer. I just let it die.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

I would say if your neighbors lawn bothers you....I'm sure other neighborly things bother you as well. I would say you fit well within an HOA. All my neighbors cut their grass when they can. Some do it more often than others....but no biggie.

You know it! I'm only 30 but would fit in so well in a retirement community...

- Don't drive too fast down the street

- Don't leave crap out in front of your house

- Don't leave garbage cans out for more than a day

- No barking dogs or loud music

- Keep your yard looking decent

- Keep your exterior lights on at night

- Don't park your cars on the street

We could never be neighbors. :lol:

I never mow my lawn in the summer. I just let it die.

So true lol

I've never seen so many yard service companies in my life since moving into our new place. I'm one of two people on our street that mow our own lawns and don't have a lawn service. I enjoy it though. It's theraputic for me. I put in my ear buds and tune out the world for half an hour.

Take some of the water from your massive fat sack and water your yard. The fertilizer in the river does wonders for grass (no joke)

Could a Strong HOA actually decrease property value? It certainly decreases competition when selling as apparent in this thread.

Absolutely...that's why buyers need to do their research before getting into a community with an HOA. I requrested a copy of the HOA 'rule book' before we made the offer on our house.

• Like 2

Absolutely...that's why buyers need to do their research before getting into a community with an HOA. I requrested a copy of the HOA 'rule book' before we made the offer on our house.

You would have to. After all even you could find yourself in an HOA that is too extreme. Wouldn't that be funny to get a letter in the mail suggesting that mowing your lawn 2x a week isn't enough :lol:

So true lol

I've never seen so many yard service companies in my life since moving into our new place. I'm one of two people on our street that mow our own lawns and don't have a lawn service. I enjoy it though. It's theraputic for me. I put in my ear buds and tune out the world for half an hour.

Take some of the water from your massive fat sack and water your yard. The fertilizer in the river does wonders for grass (no joke)

No offense but you could maybe pull of the retirement community thing. Just be sure to jog much slower when you go out for a run and they would never know :lol:

I lived in a HOA neighborhood for five years and it was horrible, aside from marrying the blonde girl next door lolol

Just do what my neighbor did, act dumb and speak Korean.

• Like 2

Our HOA is so much more normal. As was the condo HOA I lived in on Sammamish in Seattle. Dues are $25/month, slips are $500/yr, kayak racks are $35/yr. I'm thinking about building a big pole building or fenced parking lot to rent storage space in.

We live on a lake with a private beach, docks, ramp, etc. And we're 2 blocks from 3 different golf courses. So we know we will have boats & golf carts around, period. :duh:

We have beach parties in the summer.

Ice hockey parties in the winter.

Pink flamingo parties in the winter.

But there are rules.

No long term projects outside (but we have plenty inside, ie; custom bikes, 2 Cobras, boats, hot rods, Harleys, etc.)

Boats, carts, cars & trucks can be parked in your driveway if their maintained drivers.

No tarps, fitted boat & car covers only.

Parties end at 10 pm week days. Midnight on weekends.

We have good property values. Houses sell when their priced right. The only people bitching are the ones who can't manage to mow their lawn occasinally or pay a neighbor kid $20 to do it.

I mow my lawn once a week, sometimes every other week.

I have 4 dogs, one of which wears a bark collar (which somehow keeps the pack quiet).

On any given day I have an Avalanche, Pacifica, 88 Wrangler, golf cart or Vride in my driveway. No complaints.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

No way I could never ever ever live in an HOA. I like to be able to use my property. There are HOA's that won't even let you park a truck in the driveway in the ATL suburbs. No thanks.

I feel for folks that have an hoa. If that's your choice though then that's ok. Besides the nasty letter, what can the hoa do if you just disregard some of the rules about boats parked? Just wondering. Around here, we have few hoa places but those we have are nice. I just never liked an hoa that had too many rules, but some I could see would benifit all. I don't think they would keep property values up though since when you sell, you are valued on comps that may not be in that SD.

Funny how many people are clearly not reading this thread. Not all HOAs are about making absurd rules. How many of you who own your own property & get to do whatever you want on your own waterfront beach? Or have your boat in a slip anytime you like? Or can take your Jeep out in the mud or hill climbing on your property? Or have a sandy volleyball court? Or have a cabana where you can host parties, weddings or watch the ball game with your friends?

For me, being a part of an HOA is about owning more land & amenities than I can own on my own. And I don't pay taxes on any of it.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I guess every one is different. Some are snooty people that can't stand the thought of anything lesser than a Mercedes in the driveway but don't provide anything to the residents. Others actually provide things like lawn care, community amenities, and security.

Good point made by Bill about getting all of those things and not paying tax on them.

Edited by robbennett

i find it amusing that many of the people who complain about the HOA enforcing rules on them will be the first to complain about a neighbor who is violating the rules.

if you bought the house in the neighborhood, play by the rules.

• Like 1

No HOAs in our neighborhood and I'd say it is upscale. I don't like HOAs. I don't want someone telling me what to do on my property. I value good relations with my neighbors, so if they have a complaint about something, I will take it very serious and try to see it through their eyes--but I don't like distant committees telling me what to do because some crotchety guy 10 houses down the street went for a walk and didn't like what he/she saw. I don't usually have anything parked on our driveway.

I try to have the best lawn on the street. If everyone else had a crappy lawn, that would be a weight off my shoulders...:)

We knew full well what the HOA rules were when we bought our house. We actually talked to a couple of our potential neighbors before putting an offer in. I wanted to make sure that there was enforcement but not on a Soup Nazi scale. We have received one letter for our A22 being in the driveway for more than 48 hours. I kindly called and left the management company a message. Asking when they changed the enforcement policy and if they were sending letters to the other boat and RV owners? I received a very polite call from the new agent and she explained that she hadn't learned all the addendums to the covenants and she was very sorry that we received a letter at all. In our hood as long as the boat or RV isn't on blocks or a hunk of junk, then we can leave it out for 7 days.

HOAs aren't for everyone. If done right they absolutely protect your property value and sanity. If not, well then it surely can be maddening.