Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anybody else ever feel like this?

DaDeuce

Anybody else ever feel like this when you've got your boat home for a week?

http://abc.go.com/shows/modern-family/video/VDKA0_45l6nzw8

We are heading to a different lake this week, so we have the boat home in our driveway. Our boat ends up here a few times a year (usually when we have to do something maintenance/project-wise that would be more difficult at the lake house or take longer than a day), and I feel like all of our neighbors feel this way. Any one else? I've also gotten the occasional letter from the HOA (Mr. Deuce we would like to remind you that your boat has been parked in your driveway for more than 7 days and this is in violation of blah, blah, blah, etc.), even if my boat has only been there for a couple days!!!!!

Nope, I live in a non HOA neighborhood where what you park on your property is your business. Most everyone on the street has at least 1 car/trailer/boat/rv in the driveway.

• Like 3

I have an HOA but it is in the Chain-o-lakes. Very friendly to all sorts of things parked. I keep mine in my driveway full time and most of the neighbors do as well. Nobody would move there if you couldn't as that is pretty much the express purpose of houses in this area. I know we looked at a few that wouldn't even allow us to tuck it next to the garage. Very weird mentality.

Good thing I have great relationships with my neighbors. Here is the summertime storage for my boat. In the winter, the canopy comes down and the boat goes into a storage facility. Obviously no HOA's here.

image_23.jpg

our HOA is like, super passive aggressive with leniency towards passive.

I brought mine home for a week, the same reason as you - headed to a different lake over the 4th. They sent out an email reminder of a few HOA rules to everyone, and just happened to mention trailers/boats in that list of 20 things.

I looked at my wife and was like "just for that, I'm moving it further up the driveway towards the street so they can ALL see it."

Only thing is, I don't think they were actually talking about us. We're at the end of a cul-de-sac and no one on my street cares. There were a couple other houses in the neighborhood on busier streets that had trailers in them.

Regardless, they got the full glory of a freshly nekkid Wakesetter for a couple days.

Good thing I have great relationships with my neighbors. Here is the summertime storage for my boat. In the winter, the canopy comes down and the boat goes into a storage facility. Obviously no HOA's here. image_23.jpg

Ever thought of a nice aluminum structure.

I live in a neighborhood with an HOA....says we can't have a boat parked for more than 7 consecutive days in the driveway.....before we had a place at the lake, I just circumvented that rule because I went to the lake on Saturdays and Sundays......stored it elsewhere in winter. Had the HOA say something to me and I pointed out the 7 day rule. They never say another word.

Now pretty much all of my neighbors know that my boat will be in the driveway for a week in early spring and a week in late fall to get it ready for lay up or for use. Most of them don't care and actually will walk up the drive to chat and check it out......and if they do care or say anything, I tell them to suck it up it will be gone in a few days.

I'm sure at this point the haters would much rather see the boat in the drive than look at shin high grass when we decide to stay at the lake house for 3 weeks straight. Good thing there is nothing about grass height in the covenants... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 2

I do find it funny that boats or cars you don't drive everyday are what people complain about. Yet totally unkempt yards is apparently acceptable.

I hounded my real estate agent religiously to make sure there were no covenants before I made an offer on my house. Sometimes it sucks when you have a deadbeat neighbor who parks in his front lawn instead of his driveway around back or the deadbeat neighbor who replaced him who mowed her lawn once last year. I'd still rather deal with that than deal with "your fence is not in regulation", "your truck hasn't moved in weeks", or "your mailbox is the wrong color".

• Like 1

I once got a letter from the HOA saying my boat was in the drive on day x and day y which was more than the allotted time in the covenants. I wrote them back to say that the boat was out of the drive on day x+1 and again on y-1. Both times we were enjoying it on one of the local lakes. In my note back to them I requested that they do their proper due diligence prior to writing me or any of my neighbors on HOA matters. My reminder also included that since I was up to date on my dues that I was responsible for their salary and was not pleased with their performance.

They wrote back stating they would take my valid points under consideration. Haven't heard from them since, neither have my boat owning neighbors.....

Edited by dlb

Mine gets me all the time when the boats in the drive for work. Notes on door and stickers on my windshield. Lived in this hoa for almost 4 years. I send them a letter stating I will comply when my neighbors across the street mow their lawn, as it is on average 1-2ft tall of weeds. It's a rental home and never taken care of. I even had the head of the hoa stop and talk when I was working on it one time, told her the same think. On top of that a park and pond was suppose to be built by the end of 2012, never happened. I have no respect for mine. You hold up your end of the deal, I'll hold up mine

My hoa is pretty laid back. My next house will not be in an hoa though. I spent a lot of money expanding my driveway and creating boat parking. My cars and boats are never parked on the street. I just lost my covered storage, should be interesting to see how they handle my long term winter storage solution...

Ever thought of a nice aluminum structure.

Yes. I'd love to put one up but an aluminum structure is considered a permanent structure and has to be set back 15' from the sidewalk. You can have a temporary structure up to the sidewalk. I had that structure as a cover for my skateboard ramp in the back yard. The wind picked it up and bent a couple of the legs and shredded the fabric cover. Notice the right side is tied into the fence. I thought of doing a metal structure for 10' and then a soft "temporary structure" out to the sidewalk but it's just not worth it. Either way, it would look like poo so I'll leave it as is for now. We're in the market for a new home or will add on to the existing garage to fit the boat inside. We are weighing out about 4 or 5 options for home and storage options.

I've never lived in an HOA area nor God willing will I ever. But my parents did. It was so bad they would park their RV in their driveway Friday morning (48 hour grace) and leave Saturday morning for a few days. They'd have a nasty-gram in their mailbox when they returned about having the RV there for "over the allowed time limit". They used to put a sheet of paper in the window with the date and time it arrived and the time of planned leave. It still didn't help too much. They lasted there about 2 years and moved on.

Yes. I'd love to put one up but an aluminum structure is considered a permanent structure and has to be set back 15' from the sidewalk. You can have a temporary structure up to the sidewalk. I had that structure as a cover for my skateboard ramp in the back yard. The wind picked it up and bent a couple of the legs and shredded the fabric cover. Notice the right side is tied into the fence. I thought of doing a metal structure for 10' and then a soft "temporary structure" out to the sidewalk but it's just not worth it. Either way, it would look like poo so I'll leave it as is for now. We're in the market for a new home or will add on to the existing garage to fit the boat inside. We are weighing out about 4 or 5 options for home and storage options.

Cool...Skateboard Ramp!! I had 2 experiences living with HOA's. My first Apartment and my first single family dwelling. From then on I only lived in non-Hoa neighborhoods. I stil, have property in Florida, and continually deal with grief from an HOA. Their May be some upside to having one, but in my experience I have not seen it.

Chose to live in a HOA, I want the rules enforced to the hilt. Don't want cars on jacks, boats with cheesey beat up blue tarps and POS PVC frames to hold up fugly blue tarps next door, no sir!

Exactly! We just moved into a neighborhood with a strong HOA. It's 'ran' by owners in the neighborhood and their main puprose is to keep up property values. They don't bother the neighbors so much as they do the contractors who try to come in and build cheap copy cat houses. They were succesful in stopping DR Horton (huge home builder) from coming in a few years ago and buying the remaining 90 or so lots and putting in their crap. We moved in just a few months ago and the previous owners were hated by the neighbors because they didn't take care of the property. We've done a ton of work to the exterior of the house and get neighbors stopping by all the time saying how glad they are that we moved in...that and we're just awesome people :crazy:

There are those that have no business living in an HOA, and those that have no business living outside an HOA. Problems occur when the lines are crossed.

Imagine in a non HOA, living next to a neighbor that should be living in an HOA. Shoot this guy has gotten on to us when our in laws came to visit and they parked in front of his house. I told him to call the police.

The good news is they no longer talk to us. They don't even wave back if we wave at them. Ever. So its fun to keep on waving because I know it creates tension in them.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
  • Like 3

Exactly! We just moved into a neighborhood with a strong HOA. It's 'ran' by owners in the neighborhood and their main puprose is to keep up property values. They don't bother the neighbors so much as they do the contractors who try to come in and build cheap copy cat houses. They were succesful in stopping DR Horton (huge home builder) from coming in a few years ago and buying the remaining 90 or so lots and putting in their crap. We moved in just a few months ago and the previous owners were hated by the neighbors because they didn't take care of the property. We've done a ton of work to the exterior of the house and get neighbors stopping by all the time saying how glad they are that we moved in...that and we're just awesome people :crazy:

My problem is I can't be told what to do with my property. My blood would absolutely boil if I got a letter in the mail stating that my lawn was too long. I don't like the idea of the extra anxiety created when all I can think of is, "Oh god, I have to go home and get the lawn mowed today or else I will get that nasty letter." I don't like nosy neighbors either.

Seriously I would be sleepless for days. You can't tell me what to do with the property that I worked so hard for.

Thats my take on HOAs

What I really need is a one acre plot outside of town. I don't even like seeing another house next door. We are private people.

I could never live in a HOA. Being told what to do on my own property does not compute with me. :lol:

:lol:

I was a few seconds behind you on the same comment. :cheers:

• Like 1