Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak platform replacement?

jfw432

I love a good padded fiberglass platform and want to replace my teak.

I'll start by saying that I've never liked teak. I really don't even like the look of it so the added maintenance to keep it looking ugly (in my mind) is not going to happen. However, I don't really want to neglect it where it's useless to someone else either. So many people like the look of teak...just not me.

Did the 2000 Responses ever come with a fiberglass platform? If so, I'd happily trade someone. I'm not afraid to build one but looking for the easy way out first.

Edited by jfw432

I don't think Malibu started offering the fiberglass until later. I would look at local dealers and see if anyone has a response with a fiberglass platform and offer them the swap. I would think it would be a wash for them. Just as many people prefer the teak as the fiberglass. Good luck

I went around and around on this topic a couple years after buying my boat. I keep the boat on the lake & the sun & water made it look like hell. I was having to dry it out, then sand & oil it several times a year. I tried to sell it here, offered to trade it, etc. All the guys who say they love bolting a coffee table to their boat, but no one wanted it. So I fixed it once & for all. I had it sprayed with Linex bedliner with no grit. And then put a neoprene deck pad (ie; Hydroturf) on it. 7 years later & it still looks great, gets tons of compliments.

IMG_2021Large.jpg

• Like 2

That's awesome Bill. So the Line-X was used just to seal the old wood and give the new padding something to stick to or was there something else? I've got some Raptor bedliner which I believe is very similar laying around.

@jfw432: Not too hard to make, I did one in carbon fiber with a foam core to get a light, stiff platform. Covered top with Hydroturf. Weighs 8# and 11# with brackets compared to 30# for the teak unit.

• Like 1

@jfw432: Not too hard to make, I did one in carbon fiber with a foam core to get a light, stiff platform. Covered top with Hydroturf. Weighs 8# and 11# with brackets compared to 30# for the teak unit.

Yeah how thick did you make it? I've built a lot of composite parts but I feel like the amount of coremat I'd have to use would absorb so much resin that it wouldn't be worth the price. Maybe a dry foam core would work but sealing it is a hit/miss process in my experience.

@jfw432: I used a 1.5" thick piece of PVC foam core (corecell is a good choice) and I added a 1.5" beam of same running under the platform between the brackets. Wrapped with 2 layers of carbon fiber cloth. The core is impervious to the resin, so you are just using enough for the mat. It has incredible stiffness, of course it is like a 2 x 4 standing on edge rather than flat with the beam on the underside. I can do that as I don't have a wedge.