Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Wakesetter Oil Pressure Fluctuating

I have a 2004 Wakesetter 23 LSV and the oil pressure has been steady this season at 40.

Three days ago the oil pressure starting going up, sometimes as high as 70-75 (then back down to 40)

Yesterday the oil pressure starting fluctuating, depending on speed and idle. At idle and low speeds it got as low as 10 or a touch below, which setoff the warning indicator on the dash. When I would speed up it would go to 40 or sometimes higher.

From what I've read, this is somewhat common but this is a big change from the first two months of the summer. I checked the oil yesterday when I came in (and the engine was still hot) and it looked like he oil was just a touch above the high end of the recommended range.

Thoughts? Too much oil? Oil sending unit? Sensor? Normal?

I have the Hammerhead 350hp. Thanks crew!

FWIW, the rule of thumb is typically at least 10psi per 1000rpm for a healthy 5.7L

The published minimums are:

Oil Pressure (Minimum at Normal Operating Temperature)

1000 6 psi

2000 18 psi

4000 24 psi

Personally I think that an engine is pretty whipped if you are seeing pressures that low.

• Like 2

10 to 75 in a single day is pretty abnormal in my opinion. A 30-40psi swing is pretty standard from idle to WOT though. I'd personally be worried about anything below about 15psi though as I've trashed the crank/rod bearings in a boat before when the oil drain tube fell off but the gauge never fell below 15psi (granted it was 15psi at about 2500rpms).

Anything you've recently done to the engine? Rebuild over the winter? Recently changed the oil or filter?

Edited by jfw432

It's a new to me boat this year. I know at some point the engine was rebuilt but that was years ago. The oil and filter was changed in the offseason, hasn't been changed since. Normal hours at this point.

oldjeep, when you say an engine is whipped ... I think I can interpret that but can you be more specific?

It's a new to me boat this year. I know at some point the engine was rebuilt but that was years ago. The oil and filter was changed in the offseason, hasn't been changed since. Normal hours at this point.

oldjeep, when you say an engine is whipped ... I think I can interpret that but can you be more specific?

I'd consider oil pressure that drops as low as the minimums that Indmar publishes to indicate either a worm out oil pump or worn out bearings.

Thanks all, I'll take a look and check the connectors first, then sending unit, etc. I've never checked those connectors or sending units before - from what I understand they're down by the oil filter and come out in a T shape?