Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Momentary "Low Oil pressure" digital reading on warm startup.

I have been getting a momentary Low oil pressure reading on the digital display which also shows water temp, depth hours etc, upon start up after we have been running for a while and then sitting. No Alarm and analog gauge seems to read come up to correct pressure within the expected time of just starting engine. Anyone else ever have this problem? this is on a 2003 sunsetter lxi, monsoon 335, 195 hrs on engine. New oil for this season only have put on about 10 hours so far. Valvoline 15-40, large napa gold oil filter. Any ideas? No engine noise. thanks Kerry

Edited by Slalomjunky

I'm not trying to be an a**, but check the dipstick. Is there enough oil in the engine? Are there any leaks/drips around the filter or the drain tube? Have you had any "rainbow" discharge out the exhaust while sitting at the dock (oil getting in the cooling system)?

If you started burring oil there could be a bigger problem, or you may not have put enough in for the oil pan + filter change. Also double check the manual to make sure 15W-40 is the correct oil; It sounds correct, but I don't have a manual in front of me at the moment.

You want to check all the simple things before you go looking for a failed sensor or having a mechanic dig in to the engine...

Edited by mikeo

several malibu's in this area have seen similar problems.

i saw the fault on my rig and it cleared up w a new oil pressure switch.

the same fault returned several years later so i ordered another oil pressure switch.

then i had a conversation w another tmc member and he lead me to the conclusion that it's just a poor electrical connection. thanks jim.

both the oil pressure switch and analog sending unit have a friction type of electrical connector.

i took a set of dykes to those friction connectors and replaced w a soldered & crimped type of connection and have yet to see another warning.

now realize it's only been a handful of hours but i'm sure this is the root source of the problem.

if it were mine i'd start by gently squeezing the oem connector to make a more robust connection.

if that fixes your problem then you are headed in the right direction but it's only going to be a temporary fix.

i'd recommend a soldered crimp-on or you will be posting that same question for the same problem in another couple of years.

Tvano,

Thanks for the advice. I will check connections clean and tighten. Hope this corrects the problem. Kerry

Mikeo,

Oil level is full. I check it every time I go out. No oil residue problems. Thanks Kerry

Good to hear that you're one of the people who check regularly. It's amazing to me the number of people who take a "it's broke, why?" stance when they could check a few basic things. It should be easy to crimp/re-crimp that electrical connection, I'm crossing my fingers that's all it takes to keep summer going for you.