Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interesting Storm Damage Story

Parked my 2003 Sunsetter LXI on it's trailer in front of our lake house rental during a 75 MPG wind storm. The stern was windward and the ski locker was closed but not latched. Apparently a gust managed to open the ski locker and rip both gas struts out of the locker cover. That cover is an odd combo of fiberglass, honeycomb metal, and thin metal sheet. The bolt location was destroyed to the extent that I'm having a friend machine a 1/8" steel plate to cover and strengthen the area so that I can bolt the struts in again. So word of caution: latch that thing down or park bow windward in a storm!

• Like 2

75 MPG!!! Dang! That storm was getting some great mileage! :biggrin:

Glad to hear the boat will be okay!

Edited by oceanbu
  • Like 2

75 MPG!!! Dang! That storm was getting some great mileage! :biggrin:

Glad to here the boat will be okay!

Maybe we're getting so many storms this season because gas is cheap and storm MPG is up?

Edited by Asmodeus2112
  • Like 2

Sadly it took me way too long to understand what the heck you two were going on about. lol. But to keep it real, I'm sure if you're headed downwind you'd get some really good MPG in such a storm.

To quote too many others on TMC: "P, OIDH" (pictures, or it didn't happen)

While I don't like seeing pictures of damaged boats, it is useful information about the construction of our boats and how to possibly avoid the same problem (or a tip on how to repair something).

Good point. Friend is still making the plate so I'll post photos of the damage and the plate and the repair once it's done next week.