Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

talked myself into rev8s, help please

Rmack

Im definitely getting rid of the factory titan speakers. Questions i have with this in mind, i want loud, but dont need insane. 2012 lsv.

Is one set of rev8 better and louder than 2 sets of titan factory speakers?

Can i use the factory amp?

One pair of Wetsounds Rev8s would be louder than two pair of standard 6.5" coaxials. It will be a more substantial difference if you have more amplifier power.

What is the factory amplifier?

Keep in mind that if the factory amplifier is a 2-channel and optimized for a 2-ohm load, meaning two pair of 4-ohm speakers in parallel, then you will have a large reduction in amplifier power when you have a final 4-ohm load or a single pair of speakers.

If you have a 4-channel amplifier now, that's dedicated to the tower, then you would have a large increase in power when the amplifier is limited to two speakers.

I would run no less than 200 watts per each Rev8, especially when running a single pair. 300 watts per speaker would be better.

Yes they will outperform the Titans.

My buddy has re rev8's on his x-30, don't know the model on the JL-amp. But they sound great.

I went with the exile XM-9's and currently run them on the factory Rockford 600x4 until I buy a 2nd set. I really like the G3 tower adaptor, and the ease of removing them, that and they come with protective covers with handles.

Also what are you trying to get out of the HLCD's , you may want to consider the sxt9q style speaker as you can blow out your cabin passengers with the HLCD's.

Would also recommend an EQ. ZLD, or WS420,

Stevo,

Im very virgin with stereo equipment. I didnt understand that last part. Hlcd or sxt9q?

Edited by Rmack

I just swapped out one pair of Titan II w/ Wetsounds 6x9 for one pair Rev 8, they're wayyy louder and sounds amazing. I didn't need to change the factory amp, like David said, it would sound even better if is did so I'm currently in looking at upgrading but the stock amp works fine for me for now.

Rmack,

You originally asked about one pair of Wetsounds Rev8s but now that you broaden the question to one pair of Rev8s, two pair of Rev8s or one pair of Rev10s, it's an easy answer....

One pair of Wetsounds Rev10s and a new amplifier.

Much more surface area with a 10-inch. Everything else is an 8-inch.

Much more pod displacement with the Rev10, which has just as much to do with how low the speaker goes as does the surface area.

The Wetsounds Rev10 is large enough to be balanced enough to be warm enough so that it can meet all your needs whether long range projection, mid range surfing, or near field listening at rest. The Wetsounds Rev10 is really the only tower speaker that can do it all in a single pair.

I have one pair of Rev-10s on a SYN 4 through a 420 and I have only received 2 complaints. My wife, "they aren't as pretty as the old ones" and "holy _hit those things can hurt you" my friends. The quality of sound at all ranges is amazing.

Listen to David on this one. I went to a pair of Rev 10's with the Syn 4 amp. Incredible performance with a very safe tune on mine. I highly recommend.

And yes, they will be much louder.

There is another reason that I prefer a single pair of Wetsounds Rev10s over two pair of Rev8s, other than the reasons mentioned above.

There is a coherency that you get with one pair aligned at one depth versus multiple speakers that are staggered in depth on a forward leaning tower.

Tower speakers with a staggered depth introduce a phasing differential that create narrow peaks and valleys in the response. Some frequencies are less affected and still in relative phase other than the sound being smeared in time. At other frequencies you have cancellations. So in this case, when it comes to sound quality, less is more.

I've never been a fan of compression horn speakers in general. Recently I heard the JBL Project Array 1400 home speakers. They feature an HLCD tweeter and HLCD midrange sitting atop a 14" woofer. I was absolutely shocked to hear a horn speaker perform so near perfection in every aspect. No DSP or EQ. Just all passive.

The Wetsounds Rev10 isn't there with the Project Array but it's the best tower HLCD you can buy. And one pair sound great.

get two pairs of the rev8s at least! make sure they are fully powered. Whenever i see a boat with just 2 tower speakers it looks so incomplete and naked. You will also find yourself wanting more in the end.

For the $150 difference (and both are expensive), I can't think of a good reason to get the REV 8 over the REV 10, unless you got some killer deal used.

I think if you decide to sell later, you will make up that $150 difference in resale.