Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OJ 948 vs. Acme 2313

Cory

I just sold my spare 1235 prop and wanna have a 15" prop as my backup. I currently run with an Acme 1615 and am mostly happy with it. I have owned an ACME 2315 in the past and want more top speed than it has to offer, but thought I'd like a little more torque out of my spare prop than the 1615 for variety sake.

I'm trying to decide between the OJ 948 and the Acme 2313. How do these props compare? Has anyone tried both the 2313 and the 2315 and can give me firsthand feedback about the top speed difference between the two?

Thanks

I had a 2313 on my Axis and I'm not sure you will get what your looking for out of it. I am not familiar with the OJ numbers but they do have a 15x13 prop I've heard and that may be your answer.

I run the 948 at sea level with 409 and it's been fine for surfing. At 2000' I bump up to the 2315. I really like the 948, just won't quite cut it at 2000' elevation but great for sea level use. I was running the 1235 at sea level and needed a little more low end torque for surfing and wanted a 15" prop which is why I am using the 948 now.

I run the 948 at sea level with 409 and it's been fine for surfing. At 2000' I bump up to the 2315. I really like the 948, just won't quite cut it at 2000' elevation but great for sea level use. I was running the 1235 at sea level and needed a little more low end torque for surfing and wanted a 15" prop which is why I am using the 948 now.

Fman, what is your speed @ WOT using the 948?

I find speed @ WOT to be about the best metric for objectively comparing props (it's not that I use my boat at WOT).

I called the good folks at ACME Marine and ordered a new prop 2773 (15" x 13 pitch x 0.105 cup). I think this prop is exactly what the doctor ordered. It's not even on their website yet. I ordered it from Delta Prop (not on their website yet either--had to place order by phone).

ACME has another new prop the 2775 (15" x 12.5" x .075). The 2775 is supposed to be the new low end monster of their stable now.

EDIT: Delta Prop just added the 2773 prop to their website

Edited by Cory

The 2773 slots in close to my 1615 (14.5" x 13.75 x .105), but just a little bigger for more efficiency and just a little lower pitch for more torque. ACME said I may not end up with much of a difference in top end speed since the efficiency gain may come close to balancing out the lower pitch. I'm expecting a small loss in top speed. I guess I'll find out.

Edited by Cory

Checking my notes...

948, 33 mph 4300 rpms, 36 mph 4800 rpms. I don't go wide open throttle with my boat, just seems useless. Surfing, full mls, 820's in lockers, 600 lb bow bag, wedge, 11.2 mph, 3250 rpms.

Cory, eric at OJ will let you test a few different props they make. I hope that acme works for you but demoing different props really helped me get a good feel for what works best for our use. Eric has been awesome to deal with, great customer service.

Edited by Fman

Ya, I talked with OJ and they seemed great. I just have so much experience with the ACME props, that I have a pretty good feel for what I'm getting. I suspect this new 2773 is going to be very similar to the OJ 948. I've already narrowed my desire for my spare prop to a 15" prop having a torque/pitch between the ACME 1615 and the ACME 2315, which is a fairly narrow spectrum.

Don't get me wrong, I don't go around cruising at WOT. However, I have heard from a number of people, it is good to do WOT for a few seconds every so often. Something about cleaning out the engine and preventing micro wear marks/ledges on the cylinder walls at the peaks of its travel.

Edited by Cory

You can have both ACME and OJ prop with the same dimensions perform differently. Some of the small differences could be thickness of the prop, changes in pitch along the blade and a few more that I can't remember.

That is why if you are truly looking for a specific prop ( :whistle: Fman) for your needs demo is the best.

• Like 2

^^^ I totally agree D-goose, proof is in the pudding, and props (no pun intended) for OJ allowing people to demo there props. I am not sure if ACME does this, hopefully your not stuck with the prop once you buy it. One of the reasons I am switching from Acme to OJ is because of the customer service you get, and OJ makes a comparable product with good quality.

I talked to both ACME and OJ before purchasing my latest prop. Both agreed that you can't simply compare their props via the three numbers we are familiar with (diameter, pitch, cup). Even within a single brand these three numbers do not tell the whole story. ACME was clear that the 2313 is a different beast of a prop and not easily comparable. However, they indicated that my 1615 and this new 2773 share a common blade design and their stats would be representative for comparison sake. On an ACME prop, you need to be working with a retailer that will allow you to demo the prop. OJ will do this direct.

I went with the ACME prop cause I want something that is very similar to my 1615, but 15" diameter and ever so slightly more torque. The ACME 2773 is the best candidate I could find for likely giving me what I want. I anticipate the 1615 will remain my primary prop and the 2773 my backup, unless this 2773 really impresses me.

Edited by Cory

Cory, you don't get any prop slippage with that 14.5" 1615? What rpms do you run while surfing? I can tell a complete difference between running a 14.5" and 15" prop. The 15" has much better performance and just seems to perform better for surfing. I have even noticed for heavy wakeboarding the 15" prop is a better fit for us.

Well, wished I knew a month ago that they were coming out with a 15x13 prop. I just bought a 1615 as a backup for my 1273. I liked the bite out of the hole with my 2247 (15x14.25), but it was too much pitch/too big diameter for my Monsoon to redline with. It would max out at 4800-4900 rpm with no ballast. So, really wanted a 15x13, but settled with the 1615.

I didn't notice a huge performance gap between a 14.5" and the 15", but I list my boat to surf. My prop angle must not come into play as much because of that. But, there is a difference.

Cory, you don't get any prop slippage with that 14.5" 1615? What rpms do you run while surfing? I can tell a complete difference between running a 14.5" and 15" prop. The 15" has much better performance and just seems to perform better for surfing. I have even noticed for heavy wakeboarding the 15" prop is a better fit for us.

Yes, of course my prop slips at surfing speed--all props slip while surfing. Fully ballasted up with PWII at two or three clicks/wedges up I am running around 3400 rpm with my 1615. I'll report back after I get the new prop. My top speed (GPS speedo) with the 1615 is about 40.8 mph @ 5500 rpm.

Edited by Cory

Posting to follow this thread. My boat came with a 2249 factory and I'm looking for a good spare prop. Please post your results. Thanks!

Yes, of course my prop slips at surfing speed--all props slip while surfing. Fully ballasted up with PWII at two or three clicks/wedges up I am running around 3400 rpm with my 1615. I'll report back after I get the new prop. My top speed (GPS speedo) with the 1615 is about 40.8 mph @ 5500 rpm.

At what speed?

You should be able to hit 12-12.2 @ 3500 on a 15" prop.

OJ 945 with custom .070 cup hit 39.8 with four in the boat at 1k'. Presumably at redline (stupid ''14 dash)

Got out on the lake today and put the 2773 through it's paces. I'm very happy with this prop. Top speed ended up the same as my 1615, about 41+ mph. My rpms dropped about 200 to 300 while surfing. At 11.2, full stock ballast, PNP, 600 lbs bow triangle, and wedge in third position from bottom, we were turning 3100 to 3200. This same setup would have been 3400 to 3500 rpm on my 1615. Most importantly, my LS3 didn't even break a sweat surfing. There was lots of power in reserve and the boat just seemed to be running smoother. To be fair, I never hit a wall on my 1615, but the engine did seem to be working harder with that prop while surfing.

I'm wondering if the greater slippage of the smaller 14.5" prop causes more turbulence off the prop, which is picked up by the power wedge and translates into a rougher ride???

I'm a believer in the 15" props now. You just need to select the right pitch for what you desire. My past experience with the 2315 has told me I won't be happy with the top speed of a 12 pitch prop. The 2773 (15" x 13 pitch x 0.105 cup) seems to hit my sweet spot.

Edited by Cory
  • Like 2

Cory, thanks for the update!! Just goes to show that the SG surf wave causes quite a bit more drag than listed waves. We were surfing really loaded up (all my ballast full, probably 3000 lbs, plus crew of 6) last weekend at 11.2 mph with my 1273 prop. Motor was turning 2900-3000 when I was 3 clicks up from the bottom on the wedge. So, for me, the 14.5" props are "good enough" and my backup 1615 will be just fine at altitude.