Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HELP

I have a 2004 wakesetter LSV we were out on lake for 3 hrs boat running fine then all of a sudden boat looses full power but as long as i put in idle boat runs smooth and fine, but as soon as i try to give it gas no good then i turned boat off start it back up and boat would run perfect for a minute or so then drops pwr again. I would turn off again start babk up and would run good for a min or so, im thinking coil any thoughts. and if coil where can i find on boat and can i pick a new one at auto parts store. Thanks scot

Edited by ninerone

OK im going to replace the fuel filter and see what happens but i was wondering how to trouble shoot the coil ?

98% certain that it's fuel related.

Usually if it's spark related and bad enough to the point that it's losing almost all power, you'll have an engine miss or misfire that goes with it.

A bad ignition component can cause hesitation and lost power, but if it shuts you down almost completely it'll run terrible even at idle.

Fuel starvation, on the other hand, acts just like that. So fuel filter (that's like $10-$20 and is easy to swap) then if it keeps it up, start looking at the fuel pump.

If you want confirmation, get a fuel gauge for the fuel rail.

ok i may be jumping the gun but i pulled fuel filter off to put new one on even blew thru old one and appears to be no obstruction, but to be safe i put new one on. If i have to replace fuel pump can i cross ref over to an auto fuel pump ? and if not where would you suggest getting one ?

Thanks Scot

Check out the fuel pressure before ordering a new pump. There's always the off chance that it's electrical related.

There's a rumor that you can buy a fuel pump that's not "Indmar." It's a crossreferenced part. But - I haven't been able to find it, and I think I read somewhere that they stopped making it.

I'd be curious to see if there are any aftermarket parts that will fit instead of dropping $375 on an indmar fuel pump.
I mean, I can pick up a walbro for my car for like, $90. haha