Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

98 Response kicking main engine breaker help!

I am having electrical problem with my 98 Response. It has only 250 hours. This season I have had the engine breaker kick out. The last few times the symptoms are the boat is running perfect then a loss of power then it feels like the engine is running on 4 cylinders then it quits and the breaker pops out. Today the engine kept running with the key in the off position for a few seconds. The engine kept running like you have the timing so far off and it won't cut off. Diseling is what we used to call it.

Any help would be appreciated. Already checked all battery to engine connections.

Is this a carb or injected engine?

If it is injected and still getting fuel with the key off, my first guess is that you have an injector hung open.

If it is a carb engine, you need a carb rebuild, or at least a float level check.

When you turn the key off, you should no longer have spark. If you do, it's probably your key switch.

On the other hand, if it runs with no spark, it is probably dieseling because of extra fuel dumping in the intake. That would also reduce power while it is running.