Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Other surf systems....are they the cats meow?

yotaisgame

I follow all the big boat manufacturers on Facebook and have been seeing post about how their surf systems are the new best thing for surfing. I've briefly looked them up and I just don't see how it beats the surf gate.

I've ridden the Malibu Surfgate (LSV and VLX), Supra Swell (SC450), and Nautique NSS (G21). The Malibu and Supra were similar but the Malibu switch a little faster. The Nautique G21 wave looked like crap but it surfed great. However, the switching sides is horrible for transfers on the G21 unless you can do a big air transfer. Right when driver pushes button for transfer, a huge rooster tail wall gets in the way of hopping over to the other side.

So far the Malibu has the best/Faster switching system. Although, Tige just released theirs. I have yet to try the Tige system but the video looks very promising.

Forgot to add: Also rode behind the MC X30 w/Gen2. Very slow to switch. But I don't think dealer was familiar enough with it at the time. Wave was very nice though.

Edited by bunji169

I surfed behind a G23 recently. Pretty big, waist high, right out of the box with no additional ballast. I thought the wave was short. Couldn't get very far back. Seemed steep also. Need more time behind it to play around.

I surfed behind a G23 recently. Pretty big, waist high, right out of the box with no additional ballast. I thought the wave was short. Couldn't get very far back. Seemed steep also. Need more time behind it to play around.

The factory preset is too slow, and might have been part of your problem if the boat owner just assumed it was right from the factory.

I am very pleased with the length of the wave.

To do transfers with NSS, I have found that I do have to be close to the boat, or I cannot get over the center spine. But I am a very mediocre surfer.

There of course will not be a firm answer as to which is better, owners will line up to defend their boat. I found the surfgate wave to be too rampy, but that might be because I was used to a listed 247 with a tall, steep and long wave. The Nautique also has a center trim tab that can change the wave from steep to rampy, so I think it is better because it is more adjustable.

The G21 is not rumoured to have as robust of a surf wave. But this guy sure made it work. He is a pretty awesome surfer, and could probably do a lot of those tricks behind a listed bass boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfvErfObR8E

I've heard and hopefully you guys can clear this up or at least chime in, that the malibu system can be limited by weight. Meaning that eventually you can add enough weight that the water just goes over the surf gate and makes it ineffective. As opposed to the Supra and MC systems which don't have that issue. I have only surfed once so I admit I am a complete rookie but would like some feed back on this.

I have the 1st generation SWELL system on my SC450 and like mentioned above is produces a very similar wave to the Malibu. (Probably because the running surface between the new Supras and Malibu's are similar.) The Swell system likes to have a little extra weight on whatever side you are surfing to clean up the wave, especially on the goofy side. I think the swell system has much more robust hardware (heavy duty stainless steel mounts and plates vs. the Malibu fiberglass gates and small hinges. Other than that, both systems get the job done.

• Like 1

The factory preset is too slow, and might have been part of your problem if the boat owner just assumed it was right from the factory.

To do transfers with NSS, I have found that I do have to be close to the boat, or I cannot get over the center spine. But I am a very mediocre surfer.

There of course will not be a firm answer as to which is better, owners will line up to defend their boat. I found the surfgate wave to be too rampy, but that might be because I was used to a listed 247 with a tall, steep and long wave. The Nautique also has a center trim tab that can change the wave from steep to rampy, so I think it is better because it is more adjustable.

The G21 is not rumoured to have as robust of a surf wave. But this guy sure made it work. He is a pretty awesome surfer, and could probably do a lot of those tricks behind a listed bass boat.

Does Nautique have an alarm to help with transfers? Seems like they would have to because you can see the gates open and close. Or can you? Edited by Fman

We were running at 11 then bumped up to 11.4. Goofy side.

I've heard and hopefully you guys can clear this up or at least chime in, that the malibu system can be limited by weight. Meaning that eventually you can add enough weight that the water just goes over the surf gate and makes it ineffective. As opposed to the Supra and MC systems which don't have that issue. I have only surfed once so I admit I am a complete rookie but would like some feed back on this.

that is a myth... just ask Afun or RayRay

Hey Red... is it true that NSS has 5 settings that control the wave lenght?

No. At least not right now. Why would anyone want to have the shortest wave?

The NCRS has 5 settings which change it from rampy to steep. It may affect the length some, but not much. It is basically a glorified trim tab, but I think it does the job it is advertised to do.

There are limitations but not for the reasons your thinking. People are adding a bunch of rear weight, no bow weight and expecting It to be awesome because the swim platform is 4" under water.

Surfgate can handle a lot of weight, however you start running into power problems. Enough prop and torque to turn it. My wall is 5k ballast, plus 1000 pounds of crew. WOT 4100 RPM, drain 200 pounds out of non surf side and your set. But that is not a surfgate wall.

I talked to our dealer about this exact question. We have water over the gates and I was curious if it hurt the wave. His response was as long as the wave is forming it's not hurting it. When the wave face disappears that's the break over point. He suggested we try it out for ourselves. I have yet to sink it enough to ruin the wave. To be fair I have only put in 4000 ish and then wedge.

well... sometime a good looking wave is not the best for surfing...

You can control the wave of a G with NSS and NCRS.. and of course the speed.

one of my favorite G21 Videos....