Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heading to Torch next week...any tips?

Kalamazoo

whatever you do, don't invite Norris Mike.

He and torch lake don't mix.

There sounds like a good story here :)

• Like 2

No tips here. I'm headed up for the first time in the middle of August. Going to bring the Bu and see what it's like to surf in a lake that's deeper than 10 feet. I was going to start this same thread in about 3 weeks.

I'll be on elk, which connects to Torch. We have a Ski course on the south end. Stop by I'll give you a pull. Torch isn't a great sports lake but clam lake which connects by the dockside restaurant is usually calmer. What part of the lake are you staying? South end has the sandbar which is a great hangout. Dockside is the only restaurant on Torch but if you go to elk we have the riverwalk. You can also dock on walk into downtown Elk rapids for some good eats and check out the beach on lake Michigan. If you love cruising you're connected to 4 lakes with a couple of no wake rivers to navigate. Feel free to call me and I can tell you more, I've been visiting the area for the last 25 years. Matt 517-304-2707

• Like 2

Looks like powderjay covered it. I haven't been in a few years been used to go quite a bit. Have some friends in Kalkaska that are on it every weekend. The one thing I would try to check is the water temp since being such awesome, deep spring water, it can stay cold and I heard it was colder than typical this year. I've been up there in July and it still felt like ice water. The sand bar on the south side is a great hang out, the locals are still pissed from the massive 4th party that occurs and the trash left behind; it is an issue every year.

-a88fea329db0e91c.jpg

• Like 1

That noise only happens on the fourth. The rest of the time it's a good natured hang out with only a few drunks. It's an option if you like hanging and chatting with other boaters. We stick to the outskirts and the kids love running in the shin deep water.

I'll be on elk, which connects to Torch. We have a Ski course on the south end. Stop by I'll give you a pull. Torch isn't a great sports lake but clam lake which connects by the dockside restaurant is usually calmer. What part of the lake are you staying? South end has the sandbar which is a great hangout. Dockside is the only restaurant on Torch but if you go to elk we have the riverwalk. You can also dock on walk into downtown Elk rapids for some good eats and check out the beach on lake Michigan. If you love cruising you're connected to 4 lakes with a couple of no wake rivers to navigate. Feel free to call me and I can tell you more, I've been visiting the area for the last 25 years. Matt 517-304-2707

how's the passage from torch to skeg to elk? 4' is the absolute least I'd be willing to try to navigate. if stumps, etc fuggetaboudit.

If anyone is interested in checking out Lake Charlevoix (~30 minutes North of Torch), let me know. Water is a refreshing 74 (probably warmer than Torch), and I've got my surf wave dialed in!

That noise only happens on the fourth. The rest of the time it's a good natured hang out with only a few drunks. It's an option if you like hanging and chatting with other boaters. We stick to the outskirts and the kids love running in the shin deep water.

Yes sounds great. I was referring to the July 4th white trash fest

I would love to witness some of the idiocy that happens there. It's got to be pretty humorous to watch.......Just sayin...

• 3 weeks later...

How was the trip? Any tips for me? I'll be up there next weekend at this time. I'm still not sure if we'll still be boat owners by that time though.

Powderjay - Are you going to be up there next weekend? Or I might have to head up to visit Tao for some surfing.

How was the trip? Any tips for me? I'll be up there next weekend at this time. I'm still not sure if we'll still be boat owners by that time though.

Powderjay - Are you going to be up there next weekend? Or I might have to head up to visit Tao for some surfing.

I will unfortunately not be up this weekend.

few tips...

make sure you have a big anchor or sand spikes if mooring at sand bar. the sand is so fine my box anchor wouldn't stay. my pvc post anchors worked, but needed 3 of them to be sure.

the burger bar (on the sand bar) is pretty good but expensive.

get out EARLY if you want good water. even surfing mid day is tough. cruising mid day is tough.

the lake does seem to empty around 5 or 6, so you may find decent water then.

everything closes around 9 or 10 so get dinner early.

MUST go to the dockside bar/grill. great food, drinks, staff. park your boat on with port side against the moorings (up river facing). seems backwards but makes it a lot easier.

the clam river (by dockside) is a great retreat to find decent water. also a nice place to stop for a snack/ice cream at clam shack.

the torch river (south end) has a fuel dock, great party store and pizza place. the cruise down the river to skegemog lake, then elk lake, is fun (but long). you can get all the way to elk rapids (shorts brewing company) and even into traverse bay if you like.

you should clearly see the 'blue line' where it gets shallower with no problem...but due to water clarity shallower means going from 50 to 20 so if you simply skirt the edges you should be fine.

It's a long, long, long way from end to end. 18 miles I believe. I made it halfway and said good enough.

prevailing winds are W or NW, so west shore is best place to find good boating. mid lake - east shore can get rough on windy days.

we had a GREAT time, hope you do to. we're already booked for next year.