Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

concrete fat sacs

mali_vride

I was reading somewhere that you can fill up some rubbermaid boxes with cement and they will work for great fat sacs. Has any one tried this? If you did how did they perform.

Edited by mali_vride

I'd be real careful with that. Water is the most common ballast for a reason. Neutral buoyancy. Meaning, if your boat takes on water in an emergency, you really don't want weight in the boat that will contribute to it's sinking. Water will not.

myself I wouldn't use it but I guess that it is the same as the people that use lead weights in thier boats. I know alot of guys that own DD boats and XTI'S that use lead. with a v-ride there is plenty of room for fat sacks or something to hold water.

when you use solid weight like that, you have to worry about towing as well. it can be a huge PIA to have to load and unload that weight everytime you tow somewhere. with that said, I have about 500 lbs of sand and lead in my boat. I tend to load it up over the two axles for towing. it is always in the boat though. I would not put anymore than that in my boat though, when towing.

Edited by Thomast

If you really think you need that much more weight ALL the time go for it..The key word is "all".

My transmission is aching when ballasts are full,wedge is down, and the crew packed... Water you can adjust, Cemet...no adjustment besides chucking it overboard.

Trailering,towing and all that other stuff shouldn't be a problem unless you get really crazy with the weight..

i was just going to use the concrete if there is only one person in the boat, so it will even it out. I wasn't going to put more than 200lbs of concrete in it.

It doesn't look like you're going overboard.

Take a look at this site for info on how solid ballast can impact you.

HowToWakesurf.com

scroll down to the sections titled:

1) Water ballast vs. Solid ballast

2) Turning a heavy boat

Click on the links and watch the examples. Can be an eye opener for those that are unaware of the impact solid ballast can have.